April 5th WFMS Family Message
Good afternoon WFMS Families,
This week we will welcome back just over half of our student population for full-time, in-person instruction. All students attending in PLAN A will begin classes in-person on Thursday, April 8th. Please take time to review the information below as it pertains to our expectations and protocols with the return of a larger group of students to in-person learning. We will be sharing more information tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning for families to review.
Schedule Changes Due to Return to Plan A Instruction
Students and families may begin to see schedule changes over the next few days in PowerSchool due to the need to balance class sizes with the return of more students this week. Due to the end of the 3rd quarter and finalizing of grades, these changes will not be finalized until late Wednesday afternoon. We will share a message with families once schedules are finalized in PowerSchool. Confirmation emails regarding the learning plan your child has been assigned to (Plan A or Virtual Academy) for the remainder of the year will be sent tomorrow (Tuesday, April 6th) to families.
Carpool (Arrive and Dismissal)
With the return of more students, we expect delays in carpool this week. Please plan accordingly and follow all traffic patterns and staff directions when arriving to campus to expedite the morning drop-off process. This pattern may include a revision to have parents go through the stadium area (like in afternoon pick-up) if traffic backs up. Students should not exit their car until directed to do so by staff.
During afternoon carpool, we will operate in the same manner we have thus far this year. Parents should have their carpool tag visible and school staff will take your student’s name and they will be called to carpool by our front office staff. Carpool tags will be given to students in their homeroom on Thursday morning. During dismissal Thursday afternoon, families will just be asked to tell staff their student’s name when they arrive on campus.
Students who eat breakfast on-campus will report to the cafeteria each morning. They are expected to follow all guidelines in the cafeteria established for social distancing and not talking while face coverings are removed. Once they complete their meal, they will be dismissed to their classroom for homeroom.
We will operate two lunches (25 minutes each) for all three grade-levels. Students will still sit facing in one direction with social distancing between them to the extent possible. Students not actively eating will need to have their face covering on and while face coverings are removed students should not talk to others. No snacks or drinks will be served in our lunch lines, only full lunches will be served.
3rd Quarter Report Cards
3rd Quarter report cards will be available via PowerSchool and Parent Portal for families on April 9th. Families who wish to have a printed copy of the report card emailed or mailed to their home should complete the form located HERE.
WFMS Book Fair
Did you miss the book fair? No worries, the virtual book fair continues through April 11th. Visit the link below to support the Wake Forest Middle School Library and purchase books from the Scholastic Book Fair WFMS 20-21 Virtual Book Fair.
Counselor’s Corner (Week of 4/5 - 4/9)
This week’s update includes information about the following topics. Details about the below topics can be found in the Counselor's Corner.
- Counselor Office Hours for next week – a great time to call in to chat and ask questions. RESET is available to all grade levels on Thursday from 2:30-3:00 with Ms. Purnell (use GoogleMeet access Code resetwfms). Explore mindfulness and relaxation techniques.
- Restorative Practice and Community-Building Circles - The Circle is a facilitated dialogue process that is INVITATIONAL (Sessions continue through May 17th). It allows participants to share openly and encourages connections and deepening relationships. Learn how to use these skills at home - English flyer; Spanish flyer
- Virtual Family Academy Parent Workshops – This WCPSS program provides families with the necessary academic tools to support the success of their child’s education (Sessions continue through May 20th) See what’s offered: Family Academy Facebook Live Parent Workshops Calendar (en Español
- Mental Health During COVID-19: Signs Your Child May Need More Support (Source - American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Capital Area Teen Court - Any student that has an interest in the Justice System can volunteer with Capital Area Teen Court and receive training to be a Teen Court attorney, bailiff, or member of the jury.
Dr. Bradford’s WFMS Weekly Family Messages
If you have missed a previous family message from Dr. Bradford, all messages are located on the Wake Forest Middle School website on the Principal’s Message page.
WFMS Social Media
Families who have social media are encouraged to follow WFMS on Twitter (@wakeforestms), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WakeForestMS), and Instagram (@wakeforestms) for updates.