February 28th WFMS Family Message
Visite el enlace a continuación para acceder al mensaje familiar de WFMS de esta semana en Español. Gracias.
Good afternoon WFMS Families,
Below are updates and announcements for the week of 3/1 - 3/5.
Plan B In-Person Learning
We will welcome students on Cohort 1/A back to in-person learning for their rotation tomorrow, Monday, March 1st. All other students will continue to access remote learning. This Wednesday, March 3rd is a remote learning (asynchronous) day for all students. Dates for in-person learning for each cohort to return are listed below.
Cohort 1/A (March 1 - 5, March 3rd is Asynchronous Day)
Cohort 2/B (March 8 - 12, March 12th is Teacher Workday )
Cohort 3/C (March 15 - 19)
Return to In-Person Learning
Families should review information in the Return to School Guide for WFMS for information regarding new safety protocols and procedures for the return to in-person learning. Students must wear face coverings at all times and should bring their own water bottle.
There have been revisions to our Eating and Drinking safety protocols for breakfast and lunch. Students will only remove their face covering once all students have gotten their meals and are ready to eat. They will be given a specific amount of time (at least 20 minutes) to eat, but will not be allowed to talk during this time. Once all students have finished their meals and masks have been put back on, the students will be allowed to socialize. Eating and Drinking Guidance was shared by the district in the February 4th Family Message.
During morning carpool, no student will be allowed to exit their car before 7am. All students must complete a health screening, which includes a temperature check before exiting their car. To expedite the process, as you arrive on campus, please roll your windows down and turn off the heat to mitigate any potential misreading of temperature, which could result in a second temperature reading being needed and potentially your child not being able to attend school due to a high temperature.
For afternoon carpool, staff will take your child’s name and they will be called from class after 2:15 to exit the building.
During morning and afternoon carpool, please follow all traffic patterns and directions from school staff so we can quickly and safely serve you and your child.
WFMS would like to remind families we are here to support your student. If you would like a parent-teacher conference, we are still available to meet for phone and Google Meet conferences. If you would like to schedule one, please reach out to your teacher, grade-level counselor, or grade-level administrator.
If you do not have PowerSchool access, please email our data manager, Ms. Abbott (email@example.com) to get set-up today.
In addition, WCPSS has put together a list of support sessions our families may access. Please visit THIS LINK to review the options available.
High School Registration (8th Grade Students)
Next week, March 1st, Ms. Pertell and Mr. Smith will be registering ALL students attending Heritage High School. All Plan-B students on Track “C” that will be on campus will report to room 807 during their CORE SOCIAL STUDIES CLASS. ALL Plan-B and VA students that are not on campus will register via google meet during the same time, using the google code which will be shared with you via email. You can also find high school information on our Student Services website "Counselors Corner".
CPR Compressions Assessment (8th Grade Students)
Due to the recent calendar change making March 10th and 11th in-person learning days, we have changed the date for 8th grade Virtual Academy students to sign-up to complete their CPR compressions assessment. Although it is typically completed in the 8th grade, students are not required to do this now due to the pandemic, but does remain a graduation requirement and will need to be completed at some point before the 12th grade year. If your Virtual Academy student wishes to sign-up for an appointment on the new date of March 24th, please click HERE. Students participating in Plan B rotations will complete this during their rotation in the gym. Please email Mrs. Carlyle with any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Counselor’s Corner (Week of 3/1 - 3/5)
This week’s update includes information about the following topics. Details about the below topics can be found in the Counselor's Corner.
- Counselor Office Hours for next week – a great time to call in to chat and ask questions. RESET is available to all grade levels on Wednesday from 12:00-12:45 with Ms. Purnell. Explore mindfulness and relaxation techniques.
- Attention Eighth Grade Students and Parents: Eighth Grade Students and Parents: Ms. Pertell & Mr. Smith are registering
- Heritage High School students on Monday, March 1st. Make up day held on March 2nd.
- Wakefield High School Registration is Thursday, March 4th. Make up day held on March 5th.
- Wake Forest High School is Monday and Tuesday (March 8th & 9th) and make up days the remainder of the week.
- Restorative Practice and Community-Building Circles -The Circle is a facilitated dialogue process that is INVITATIONAL. It allows participants to share openly and encourages connections and deepening relationships. Learn how to use these skills at home - English flyer; Spanish flyer
- WCPSS Wellness Session: Keeping Your Kids Emotionally & Physically Safe - An informative presentation that provides parents with resources, shares risk factors, and gives warning signs of suicide and self-injurious behaviors. See flyer with dates and registration.
- Virtual Family Academy Parent Workshops – This WCPSS program provides families with the necessary academic tools to support the success of their child’s education. See what’s offered: Family Academy Facebook Live Parent Workshops Calendar (en Español)
- WCPSS Parent Information Sessions include Restorative Practice and Community-Building Circles (English flyer; Spanish flyer) and WCPSS Wellness Session: Keeping Your Kids Emotionally & Physically Safe (See flyer with dates and registration.)
- National Youth Symposium: To participate in this historic and dynamic event, use the link to register: National Youth Symposium Sign-Up
WFMS PTSA & Amazon Smile
If you are purchasing items through Amazon, please support our PTSA by accessing smile.amazon.com. Once on the website, link to Wake Forest Middle School PTSA as the charity you wish to support. A percentage (.5%) of eligible purchases will be donated to our PTSA to support the WFMS community. You must access through smile.amazon.com and you can now link Amazon Smile to your the Amazon app on your smart phone through the settings feature. Please share this information with family and friends so they can support our school as well.
Papa Murphy’s Spirit Night
When purchasing pizza from Papa Murphy’s this year on dates other than our spirit nights, we encourage you to order online and use the code LOVE. By doing so, WFMS will receive a percentage of your purchase as a donation to our school.
We encourage you to share this information with friends and family who live or work in the Wake Forest area and let them know they can support our school this way at Papa Murphy’s. Our next spirit night will be March 25th so we hope you will come out to support us on that day.
WCPSS Family Message
Dr. Bradford’s WFMS Weekly Family Messages
If you have missed a previous family message from Dr. Bradford, all messages are located on the Wake Forest Middle School website on the Principal’s Message page.
WFMS Social Media
Families who have social media are encouraged to follow WFMS on Twitter (@wakeforestms), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WakeForestMS), and Instagram (@wakeforestms) for updates.