February 7th WFMS Family Message
Visite el enlace a continuación para acceder al mensaje familiar de WFMS de esta semana en Español. Gracias.
Good afternoon WFMS Families,
Below are updates and announcements for the week of 2/8 - 2/12.
Return to In-Person Learning on February 17th
On Tuesday evening of this past week, the WCPSS Board of Education approved a return to in-person learning for students in Plan B on February 17th with a three-cohort model for middle schools. The 2nd semester calendar can be located HERE. Any updates and revisions to the calendar in the coming weeks will be communicated by the school district and through this weekly family message. This includes any changes to asynchronous days, which is currently under review based on feedback from all staff and the community. As we prepare for this return, please take a moment to review our safety protocols with your child. We will be sharing more information next week regarding any changes to safety protocols. Dates for in-person learning for each cohort to return are listed below.
Cohort 2/B (February 17 - 19)
Cohort 3/C (February 22 - 26)
Cohort 1/A (March 1 - 5)
Career Connections for 8th Graders
WFMS is happy to announce that Career Connections 2021 has arrived. This is a district-wide initiative developed by CTE Career Development and Career Academy Coordinators. The event will be held February 24th from 9 - 12 (Remote Learning day) and is open to students in grades 8 - 12. CTE Coordinators will be presenting 30-minute workshops from 9 to 10:40; over 50 workshops to choose from on a variety of career-related topics. In addition, over 80 business representatives will be available from 11 to 12 for the Industry Fair, presenting in 15-minute rotations. Registration is required to participate. Use the link on our Cougar Career Corner Website to register: https://bit.ly/WFMS-CDC. Students will be sent a Conference Guide with additional information on how to access the sessions. Please reach out to our Career Development Coordinator, Ms. Loomis, if you have any questions, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Services Updates
WFMS would like to welcome Mr. Michael Smith as our new school counselor. Mr. Smith will begin on February 22nd and fill the vacancy left by Mrs. Lyons, whose last day at WFMS is February 19th. Mr. Smith comes to us as an experienced school counselor most recently working at East Millbrook Middle School.
As we make this transition, we would also like to announce Mr. Smith will be working with our 8th graders and Ms. Pertell will be moving to work with our 7th grade students.
Triangle Camps, Track Out, and More
Triangle Camps, Track-Out, and More was created at the request of parents as a resource to locate camps, activities, daycare, and track out programs for their children. Visit the link below to learn more about the activities and resources available to families.
3rd Quarter Material Distribution and Resources
If your student has not picked up their materials for 3rd quarter yet, please email Mrs. John (email@example.com) to schedule a time during our school day to pick them up. Material distribution is no longer open daily from 12pm - 3pm. If you have any barriers preventing you from picking up resources and materials for your child, please reach out to your grade-level administrator and counselor for support. Please use the links below to access contact information.
Middle School Athletics
For information regarding middle school athletics, please click HERE.
Papa Murphy’s Spirit Night
Our February Spirit Night with Papa Murphy's (Retail Drive Wake Forest) is this Wednesday night (February 10th). 25% of all purchases online and in-store will be donated back to the school. We encourage you to visit and support our school.
When purchasing pizza from Papa Murphy’s this year on dates other than our spirit nights, we encourage you to order online and use the code LOVE. By doing so, WFMS will receive a percentage of your purchase as a donation to our school. Papa Murphy’s has standing specials on Tuesdays ($10 pizzas) and Friday ($5 pizzas).
We encourage you to share this information with friends and family who live or work in the Wake Forest area and let them know they can support our school this way at Papa Murphy’s.
Counselor Corner – Week of 2/8 – 2/12
This week’s update includes information about the following topics. Details about the below topics can be found at the Counselor's Corner.
- Counselor Office Hours for next week – a great time to call in to chat and ask questions. RESET is available to all grade levels on Wednesday during grade level lunches this week with Ms. Purnell. Explore mindfulness and relaxation techniques.
- Attention 8th Graders - Course registration for High School - Course registration for the 2021-2022 school year will begin soon. The course registration process for high school is completed at the middle school, is a multi-step process, and runs through March. Ms. Pertell, 8th Grade Counselor, will begin sharing information through classroom guidance this week. Information will also be shared on this website. Eighth grade teachers will work on completing course recommendations for core courses over the first two weeks of February. In addition, High School Virtual Open Houses & Curriculum Fairs began last week. Find your high school’s date here. These Open Houses are especially important to attend because it will give you the opportunity to learn information specific to your assigned high school (ex: information about electives you can choose, Standard vs Honors vs AP options, Athletics and Arts programs, Freshmen opportunities, special programs and more).
- Wake Forest University offers a Summer Exploration Program that provides current 6th- 8th graders with the opportunity to explore the world of STEM while learning more about Wake Forest University and receiving mentorship from Wake Forest staff and undergraduate students.
- Restorative Practice and Community-Building Circles -The Circle is a facilitated dialogue process that is INVITATIONAL. It allows participants to share openly and encourages connections and deepening relationships. Learn how to use these skills at home - English flyer; Spanish flyer
- WCPSS Wellness Session: Keeping Your Kids Emotionally & Physically Safe - An informative presentation that provides parents with resources, shares risk factors, and gives warning signs of suicide and self-injurious behaviors. See flyer with dates and registration.
- Young Women's Summit - This conference’s target audience is a diverse group of young women with untapped potential and limited access to enrichment opportunities. There is no "selection process". Any young woman who registers will receive a link via student email to sign up for concurrent sessions in mid-February. Interested students should register by Feb 8th at http://bit.ly/WCPSS2021Summit.
WCPSS Family Message
The Wake County Public School System shared family messages on February 2nd and February 4th. Important information was included in these emails regarding the Board of Education’s decision to return to in-person learning earlier this week. If you missed any messages or would like to review old messages, please visit the WCPSS website.
Dr. Bradford’s WFMS Weekly Family Messages
If you have missed a previous family message from Dr. Bradford, all messages are located on the Wake Forest Middle School website on the Principal’s Message page.
WFMS Social Media
Families who have social media are encouraged to follow WFMS on Twitter (@wakeforestms), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WakeForestMS), and Instagram (@wakeforestms) for updates.