January 31st WFMS Family Message
Visite el enlace a continuación para acceder al mensaje familiar de WFMS de esta semana en Español. Gracias.
Good afternoon WFMS Families,
Below are updates and announcements for the week of 2/1 - 2/5.
WCPSS Family Experiences Survey for Fall 2020
WCPSS families received an email from the district earlier this week regarding a survey allowing you to share about your experiences this year. Please take a moment to complete this anonymous survey linked below in English and Spanish. The survey closes on Sunday, January 31st at 5:00pm. If you have more than one child in WCPSS, you may complete the survey for each child.
February 3rd, 15th and 16th
This Wednesday, February 3rd is an asynchronous learning day for students. They should access Google Classroom to complete any attendance or assignments listed, but do not need to access their live classes in Google Meet
February 15th is a “Calendar Out” day listed as “C” on the WCPSS Traditional School calendar. This is a vacation day for students and they do not need to access classes on that day. The 16th is a teacher workday, so students will not access classes on that day either.
We wanted to let our families know Mrs. Brandy Lyons, our 7th grade counselor, will be leaving WFMS to begin as a counselor at Heritage High School in mid to late February. We are working quickly to hire a new counselor and will communicate specifics regarding Mrs. Lyons last day and the name of our new 7th grade counselor once the information has been finalized.
All WCPSS students will remain in remote learning through mid-February. The links below provide more information in assisting students and families for this period of learning.
3rd Quarter Material Distribution and Resources
If your student has not picked up their materials for 3rd quarter yet, please email Mrs. John (email@example.com) to schedule a time during our school day to pick them up. If you have any barriers preventing you from picking up resources and materials for your child, please reach out to your grade-level administrator and counselor for support. Please use the links below to access contact information.
Papa Murphy’s Spirit Night
When purchasing pizza from Papa Murphy’s this year on dates other than our spirit nights, we encourage you to order online and use the code LOVE. By doing so, WFMS will receive a percentage of your purchase as a donation to our school. Please share this information with friends and family who live or work in the Wake Forest area and let them know they can support our school this way at the Retail Drive Papa Murphy’s.
Counselor Corner – Week of 2/1 - 2/5
This week’s update includes information about the following topics. Details about the below topics can be found at the Counselor's Corner.
- Counselor Office Hours for next week – a great time to call in to chat and ask questions; RESET is available to all grade levels on RESET is available to all grade levels on Wednesday from 12-1pm with Ms. Purnell
- Attention 8th Graders - Course registration for High School - Course registration for the 2021-2022 school year will begin soon. The course registration process for high school is completed at the middle school. This multi-step process runs through March. Ms. Pertell, 8th Grade Counselor, will share information through presentations, class meetings, and this website. There are two upcoming first steps to this process. Eighth grade teachers will work on completing course recommendations for core courses over the first two weeks of February. In addition, High School Virtual Open Houses & Curriculum Fairs begin this week. Find your high school’s date here. These Open Houses are especially important to attend because it will give you the opportunity to learn information specific to your assigned high school (ex: information about electives you can choose, Standard vs Honors vs AP options, Athletics and Arts programs, Freshmen opportunities, special programs and more).
- WCPSS Wellness Session: Keeping Your Kids Emotionally & Physically Safe - An informative presentation that provides parents with resources, shares risk factors,and gives warning signs of suicide and self-injurious behaviors. See flyer with dates and registration.
- Young Women's Summit - This conference’s target audience is a diverse group of young women with untapped potential and limited access to enrichment opportunities. There is no "selection process". Any young woman who registers will receive a link via student email to sign up for concurrent sessions in mid-February. Interested students should register by Feb 8th at http://bit.ly/WCPSS2021Summit .
- Virtual Family Academy Parent Workshops – This WCPSS program provides families with the necessary academic tools to support the success of their child’s education. See what’s offered: Family Academy Facebook Live Parent Workshops Calendar (en Español)
- COVID-19 Parental Resources Kit - This resource can help support parents, caregivers, and other adults serving children and young people in recognizing children and young people’s social, emotional, and mental challenges, and helping to ensure their well-being.
WCPSS Family Message
The Wake County Public School System shares information and updates related to COVID-19 often with families. Messages were shared three times this past week on January 26th, 27th, and 28th. If you missed any messages or would like to review old messages, please visit the WCPSS website.
Dr. Bradford’s WFMS Weekly Family Messages
If you have missed a previous family message from Dr. Bradford, all messages are located on the Wake Forest Middle School website on the Principal’s Message page.
WFMS Social Media
Families who have social media are encouraged to follow WFMS on Twitter (@wakeforestms), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WakeForestMS), and Instagram (@wakeforestms) for updates.