January 18th WFMS Family Message
Visite el enlace a continuación para acceder al mensaje familiar de WFMS de esta semana en Español. Gracias.
Good afternoon WFMS Families,
As you may be aware, the WCPSS Board of Education approved a plan for all students to remain in remote learning until mid-February on Thursday evening of this past week. More specific information, including the powerpoint presentation from the meeting can be located here. No students will report to campus during this period of remote learning.
Below are updates and announcements for the week of 1/18 - 1/22.
2nd Semester Material Distribution
Please mark your calendar for material distribution on Tuesday, January 19th from 7:30am - 3:00pm. This will be a “DRIVE UP” only event. Please enter the school and drive through the carpool lane to loop down by the fields to help with traffic flow. You will pull up at the gym where staff and tents with materials will be set up. Please provide your students name, grade level, and math level when you pull up in order to receive all necessary materials. If you are unable to pick up materials on this day, you will be able to make an appointment for another day.
If your student has an English Language Arts novel to return or a library book, it may be returned at this time. We will, however, have a return event later in the year. Sixth grade students still need Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! and eighth grade students still need A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
The following books may be returned:
6th Grade: The Lightning Thief
7th Grade: A Long Walk to Water and Lyddie
8th Grade: Inside Out and Back Again
2nd Semester Schedules
Congratulations! We’ve made it through the first half of the year :) As we get ready to begin semester two, we need everyone’s help to make sure our students show up in their correct classes for the start of the second semester on Wednesday, January 20. Almost all students are receiving new electives for the second semester. In addition, we also have many students in each grade level switching between Virtual Academy and Plan B/Blended Learning, which has resulted in some changes in their core classes. Although all students are remaining remote at this time, class changes do go into effect on Wednesday, January 20. Counselors are sending emails to students with instructions on how to verify their classes. All homeroom/Core 1 teachers will also review this information with their students Wednesday morning. Counselors will be available for students or parents who have any questions or if you need assistance:
- Tuesday, January 19 (teacher workday; no school for students) - Mrs. Purnell, 6th grade, 919-554-8440 ext 22428 or email@example.com; Mrs. Lyons, 7th grade, 919-554-8440 ext 22430 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Ms. Pertell, 8th grade, 919-554-8440 ext 22429 or email@example.com . All counselors will be available from 11:00am-12:00pm in their google meet code (can only be accessed through a student’s Wake ID account).
- Wednesday, January 20 (7am-8:00am) - Counselors will be in their Google Meet to answer any questions and provide support. Google Meet Codes are listed below and can only be accessed through a student’s Wake ID account:
- Mrs. Purnell - purnellwfms
- Mrs. Lyons - lyonswfms
- Ms. Pertell - pertellwfms
January 18th & January 19th
Monday, January 18th is the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday and Tuesday, January 19th is a teacher workday. Students are not required to attend classes on these two days. All students will begin the second semester on Wednesday, January 20th in the remote learning setting.
Based on the Board of Education’s decision to remain in remote learning through mid-February, middle school athletics will not begin until students return to in-person learning on-campus. More information will be shared for WFMS students in the coming weeks. Thank you for your patience and any questions you have may be emailed to our Athletics Director, Tai Lassiter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Healthful Living CPR
Given the decision to remain in remote instruction, the Healthful Living Department will delay CPR compressions assessment until further notice. At this time, please disregard the dates and information shared in last week’s message about this. We will communicate more information once students return to in-person instruction.
As we enter 2021 the PTSA is in need of your support. We are currently in need of filling a couple more leadership roles on the PTSA Board, one being our treasurer position, which is important in supporting the financial support PTSA is able to provide the students and staff of WFMS. If you are willing to serve in this role, in the interim or long-term, please reach out to our PTSA President, Jeannie Neurohr at email@example.com. We greatly appreciate your consideration in assisting. More information will be coming soon regarding upcoming meetings.
Papa Murphy’s Spirit Night
When purchasing pizza from Papa Murphy’s this year on dates other than our spirit nights, we encourage you to order online and use the code LOVE. By doing so, WFMS will receive a percentage of your purchase as a donation to our school. Please share this information with friends and family who live or work in the Wake Forest area and let them know they can support our school this way at the Retail Drive Papa Murphy’s.
Counselor Corner – Week of 1/18 – 1/22
This week’s update includes information about the following topics. Details about the below topics can be found at the Counselor's Corner.
- Counselor Office Hours for next week – a great time to call in to chat and ask questions; RESET is available to all grade levels on Wednesday 2:35-3:15pm with Ms. Purnell; counselors available Tuesday 11-12pm and Wednesday 7-8am for scheduling questions
- Course registration for 2021-2022 - Registration is a multi-step process, including the sharing of information/options and the actual registration in PowerSchools. Current 8th graders typically complete this process mid-February through March; registration is completed through the middle school. High School Open Houses occur in early February and ‘save the dates’ are posted here. Current 6th and 7th graders typically complete this process mid-March through mid-April. More details coming soon here!
- Virtual Family Academy – This WCPSS program provides families with the necessary academic tools to support the success of their child’s education. See what’s offered: Family Academy Facebook Live Parent Workshops Calendar (en Español)
- Deadline for applying to Magnet Schools is January 28 – All scheduled events (virtual open houses) can be found here and all general info found here.
- Second Step Self-Care Video Series for Parents - Feeling stressed? Take a few minutes for yourself this winter. Visit Committee for Children’s YouTube channel every Monday through the end of January for a self-care video created especially for parents.
WCPSS Family Message
The Wake County Public School System shared two family messages this week. If you did not receive these messages or have not read them, please visit the WCPSS website to review the message from January 12th and January 14th.
Dr. Bradford’s WFMS Weekly Family Messages
If you have missed a previous family message from Dr. Bradford, all messages are located on the Wake Forest Middle School website on the Principal’s Message page.
WFMS Social Media
Families who have social media are encouraged to follow WFMS on Twitter (@wakeforestms), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WakeForestMS), and Instagram (@wakeforestms) for updates.