November 22nd WFMS Family Message
Good afternoon WFMS Families,
Thank you to our Cohort 1/A families and students for your support and assistance in making your return to in-person learning as smooth as possible. Students are doing an amazing job of following safety protocols and we appreciate the patience of our carpool families as you have navigated health screenings and new dismissal procedures this year. We do apologize for any confusion in last week’s family message regarding who was participating in face-to-face learning. We may not share a family message on November 29th, unless new information is available, so please take care to review all information in this correspondence.
Please remember that ALL students will participate in remote learning on Monday and Tuesday of this week.
Cohort 2/B students will return for in-person learning after the Thanksgiving Break November 30th - December 4th. For Cohort 2/B families, please take the time to review our Student Guide To Reopening Procedures so your child is best prepared for their return to in-person learning on November 30th. Our previous family messages on November 8th and November 15th for information shared with our other cohorts on their return. Cohorts 1/A and 3/C will continue to participate in remote learning the week of November 30th - December 4th.
On behalf of the WFMS staff, we wish you a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday break
Below are updates and announcements from WFMS for the week of 11/23 - 11/24.
11/23, 11/24 - Remote Learning Days
All students (Virtual Academy, all three cohorts) will participate in remote learning on Monday and Tuesday, 11/23 & 11/24. There will be no students on-campus for instruction this week. Teachers will post information in their Google Classrooms for students on these two days. Students must complete posted assignments for their classes or any google attendance forms posted by their teachers in order to be marked present for these two days.
As we have begun to experience colder weather, we have recognized many students failing the initial health screening temperature check due to heat inside the cars. As you enter campus, please turn your heat off to mitigate any potential for a misreading. If a student’s temperature reads higher than 100.4 on the first reading, you will be asked to pull into a parking spot for a second temperature check. If the second reading is high, you will be required to take your student home and they cannot return to school for in-person learning until they have a negative PCR COVID test, have felt well for 24 hours, and have been fever free for 24 hours. We appreciate your support and patience as we conduct these screenings each morning.
We have limited front office staff working on November 23rd and 24th. If you need to reach the school and no one answers the phone, please email your grade-level administrator or Dr. Bradford for support.
The WFMS campus will be closed starting Wednesday, November 25th - Sunday, November 29th. Phone messages during this time will not be returned until Monday, November 30th and emails or Talking Points messages may not be returned until Monday, November 30th, either.
1st Semester Exams
We understand there may be some confusion regarding 1st semester exams. Wake Forest Middle School does not offer any courses which require a 1st semester or mid-year EOCs or EOGs. Virtual Academy students will not need to come in the building for any assessments at this time.
Fall Picture dates have CHANGED. Please review the dates listed below and the Fall Picture Information Flyer for more information. The new dates are as follows:
December 1st for Cohort B
December 7th for Cohort C
December 14th for Cohort A
Virtual Academy students will be able to make an appointment for their pictures. Information on this will be forthcoming.
This week’s update includes information about the following topics. Details about the below topics can be found at the Counselor's Corner.
- Counselor Office Hours for next week
- FREE Winter Meal Bundles: Will be provided by WCPSS Child Nutrition Services on December 21st from 10:45 - 12:45 at specific locations. Includes 8 Breakfasts and 8 Lunches. 1 Meal bundle per child. You do not have to be a WCPSS student to receive meals, only 18 years of age or younger to qualify. The meals will be provided AT NO COST. Must complete the Winter Break Meal Bundle Form by Tuesday, December 1st.
- Pride for Parents - Pride for Parents (www.pfpwake.org) is a community toy store designed to support our neighbors by providing affordable toys and gifts during the Christmas season.
- WCPSS Wellness Sessions for Students and Families: Restorative Practice and Community-Building Circles (learn a facilitated dialogue process that is invitational and allows participants to share openly and encourages connections and deepening relationships. CRM Wellness - explores the concept of resiliency and how to utilize wellness skills to restore balance to the mind and body.
- Explore information about magnet and early college high school options, including application windows (starts October 15!) and the Virtual WCPSS Magnet Parent Info session. All scheduled events can be found here. See instructions for how to apply for an Early College here.
- Self-Care is critically important, especially during times of crisis. Explore resources that may be helpful on our website.
Dr. Bradford’s WFMS Weekly Family Messages
If you have missed a previous family message from Dr. Bradford, all messages are located on the Wake Forest Middle School website on the Principal’s Message page.
Papa Murphy’s Fundraiser and Spirit Nights
Thank you to all families and friends who supported our spirit night on November 19th at the Wake Forest Papa Murphy’s. Our first two spirit nights have been a success and we hope to continue that as we host continue these once a month for the remainder of the school year. Please encourage your friends and family to mark their calendars for the remaining events on the dates listed below.
If you, your family, or friends, are ordering pizza from Papa Murphy’s at any time, please use the code LOVE online, as this will designate 25% of your purchase to go to our school. This code can be used any day and anytime.
WCPSS Family Message
The Wake County Public School System shared two family messages this week. If you did not receive these messages or have not read them, please visit the WCPSS website to review the message from November 17th and November 19th. The message on the 19th contains important information regarding food distribution over the Thanksgiving break.
WFMS Social Media
Families who have social media are encouraged to follow WFMS on Twitter (@wakeforestms), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WakeForestMS), and Instagram (@wakeforestms) for updates.