Principal's Message September 10, 2019
FVES Bi-Monthly School Memo, September 10, 2019
We are so happy to have everyone back at school for (hopefully) a full week of school together! We hope that you feel ready to re-start the year and are feeling very positive about the beginning thus far. FVES has the absolute best community of lead learners, parents and students! We are so very thankful for your partnership.
- Transportation and access points for entry | Please help us keep all students and staff safe by following all carpool, walker and visitor procedures. Check out our website, Twitter, Classdojo and this bi-monthly reminder for a visual reminder of safe access points on our campus. Please notice there are specific spaces for parents and visitors to park, a specific entry point for carpool, walkers, and Pre-K carpoolers. This week, you will notice that there is a barrier blocking off entry during arrival to the staff parking lot. This lot is filled in the morning and should not be used to drop off students or double park. Please use the parent/ visitor parking area that has its own, safe sidewalk to escort your child in as you visit the office, instead of our bus loop. Our carpool lane is the quickest it has ever been! Our afternoon carpool is finishing now before 4:10 PM! Thank you for your help with the new procedures. Each day, we have 4-7 cars that do not have carpool numbers. After this week, you will be asked to park in the visitors lot and sign out your child. Our carpool tags are the security ticket for a safe child to car match. We will be moving our "Chick-fil-A Lanes" to spots closer to the gym steps. We have had several students try to cross the carpool lines, even when told to wait for an adult escort. This will help us with further safety measures as there is an additional adult at that location.Click on the link below for the visual reminder of access points. FVES Safe Entry/ Access Points
- Conscious Discipline | Conscious Discipline is an evidence-based, trauma-informed approach that FVES is beginning to use in every classroom, every day. It is recognized by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP), and received high ratings in 8 of 10 categories in a Harvard analysis of the nation’s top 25 social-emotional learning programs. The Harvard study’s authors say, “Conscious Discipline provides an array of behavior management strategies and classroom structures that teachers can use to turn everyday situations into learning opportunities.” The core methodology for Conscious Discipline is based on four essential components that are scientifically and practically designed for success.This approach can be found at the website below and contains videos, songs, activities, printable and training for teachers, administrators and parents! Check out more at https://consciousdiscipline.com/ and be sure to ask your child about their classroom Safe Space, Feeling Buddies, School Family and STAR breathing!
- 2019 FVES OPEN HOUSE | Our Open House for all students will be on Tuesday, September 24th from 5:00- 8:00 PM. We will provide an opportunity this year for parents to go to 1st-5th Grade classrooms for a more formal presentation regarding our instructional program and classroom expectations from 5:15-6:00 PM with the same information repeated from 6:20- 7:00 PM. We welcome you to attend one of these classroom sessions! The PTA will hold their kick off meeting in the cafeteria from 6:00-6:15 PM. Parents that attend the general PTA meeting will receive a ticket for a free SNOW CONE to use at this special night. There will be multiple food trucks and options for lower cost meals the same night to meet, greet and learn more about the FVES family from 5:00-8:00 PM. This is an opportunity to informally interact with staff, students and families and not a traditional Open House! Since our kindergarten families have their own event on August 30th to learn about the academic program, we invite our kindergarten families to the general PTA event at 6:00 PM and time to play and picnic on the back lawn! The back lawn will feature some family games and fun! We hope you will join us for FOOD, FUN, INFO and CONNECTION!
- NEW FV LIBRARY with FVES Dance Party | The Fuquay Varina Community Library is celebrating it's grand opening at the new location (271 Bramblehill Drive across from the post office) and we want to celebrate! A big shout out to Jane Miller (our Meida specialist) and Laura Martin (our music educator) for collaborating on a choreographed flash mob dance that all FVES students are learning. The grand opening is at 2:00 PM and we will dance at 3:00 PM on Sunday September 22nd! You can even practice the dance at home for some fun and practice. We hope to see you there!! :https://www.wcpss.net/domain/13903
- STEAM ENHANCEMENT | All K-5 students at our school get to experience the enhancement class we call STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics). Our STEAM teacher, Jenny Pettus works hard to deliver an interactive Science program full of wonder and exploration. In her class, she uses several types of animals (no snakes, all non-poisonous, hypo-allergenic ones) such as beetles, fish, crickets, etc. at different times of the year for observations and demonstrations. If you do not want your child exposed to any animals, please contact Ms. Pettus at email@example.com opt out of these experiences. She also has a form with all specific animals listed if you would like more information.
I hope to see you soon at our wonderful school soon!
Wishing you Well,
Heather Johnson, Principal