New Information for Students With an IEP Regarding In-Person and Virtual Instruction
March 29, 2021
We are excited for all students to return to daily instruction under Plan A. Recently, Governor Roy Cooper signed Senate Bill 220 (SB 220). This bill provides students with IEPs the option to return to daily in-person instruction. SB 220 allows parents to reconsider and change their selection of in-person instruction or Virtual Academy.
Parents are asked to make their decision by April 1. This deadline applies to all students. including students with IEPs. Find more information about the transition to Plan A.
If your child is moving from Virtual Academy to daily in-person instruction:
- An IEP meeting is not required, and services will revert back to the services as written on the IEP.
If your child is moving from in-person instruction to Virtual Academy:
- School staff must review the IEP or, if applicable, the Online Instruction Service and Support Plan (OISSP), to determine whether the plan as written can be implemented during full-time virtual instruction.
- If no changes are needed, there is no requirement to convene the IEP team
- If the school team determines that the plan cannot be implemented as written during full-time virtual instruction, the IEP team should meet to develop a new OISSP or revise the existing OSSIP.
Asynchronous Instruction Days:
- The IEP team will consider whether the IEP can be implemented as written during both in-person and virtual instruction. For students whose IEP can be implemented as written during any remote or virtual instruction, no Online Instruction Service and Support Plan (OISSP) is required.
- For students whose IEP cannot be implemented as written during virtual instruction, the IEP team must develop an Online Instruction Service and Support Plan (OISSP). The OISSP should be reviewed any time changes are made to the student’s IEP.
If you have additional questions after reviewing this information, please contact your child’s Case Manager or The Office of Family and Community Connections in Special Education Services, or call 919-431-7334; Spanish Line: 919-431-7143. -