Explorer Express for 11/7/21
No School Thursday 11/11-Friday 11/12
There is no school on November 11 & 12. November 11th is a holiday to honor Veterans Day, and November 12th is a Remote Day for reflection.
Updates to WES Protocols & Procedures
As we continue to monitor the declining number of Covid-19 cases at our school and in the community as a whole, we are updating some of the WES procedures. Please note that as we implement these changes, we will continue to monitor any changes to our data.
We also have begun receiving questions about the impact of student COVID-19 vaccinations to the attendance and return to school guidelines. The most significant change for students who become fully vaccinated will be the removal of the requirement to quarantine if exposed (at school, in the home, or the community). The links to the WCPSS policies can be reviewed here:
Changes to Lunch
Beginning this past week, we have opened up the cafeteria for optional seating for classes to utilize. The cafeteria will be open at 50% capacity, although classes are still encouraged to eat outside whenever weather permits and may still choose to eat in the classroom. Students are assigned seats with other students who sit near each other within their class.
Carpool Updates & Procedures
Now that the First Quarter of the school year is over, we are returning to some of our typical carpool procedures that we follow as a WCPSS Elementary School. As a staff, we are also working to continuously improve carpool flow while maintaining all safety requirements.
Here are updated procedures for families that will begin November 1:
- Families must remain in their vehicles when dropping off or picking up students
- Families should work with their children to practice buckling and unbuckling seat belts on their own
- In the morning, students should exit their cars on the right side, onto the sidewalk, for safety purposes
- Upon arrival, students should be prepared to exit the vehicle as they pull up to the curb (masks on, backpacks zipped up, lunch boxes/water bottles in hand)
- In the afternoon only, we will utilize both lanes at the beginning of carpool. Please follow staff members as they direct cars into the proper lane.
- Cars must only turn right out onto Olde Weatherstone Way when exiting the carpool loop in the afternoon
- Afternoon carpool ends at 4:10. After all cars have been loaded, students who have not yet been picked up will be brought back into the school to call families.
Thank you in advance for your support and helping us to make the carpool loop a safe and orderly experience for students, families, and staff.
WES Book Fair 2021
Lions, Tigers, and BOOKS OH MY!: Scholastic Book Fair November 4-19
Students who are here at school will have an opportunity to preview the fair and create a wish list to bring home to families to share on November 4-10. They will then have an opportunity to purchase books from Nov. 15-19 at noon during a scheduled visit with their class. Due to safety restrictions we will not be able to allow parents to join their child during their buying time as we have done in years past.
We ask that you set up an eWallet so that students have a contactless way to pay for their books. We will accept cash but we strongly encourage you to set up an ewallet to keep contacts at a minimum. You can find information on how to set up your child's eWallet at our schools fair website at: bit.ly/ewalletWES
Other Ways to Shop:
Online shopping with free shipping to your home with purchases over $25 at bit.ly/ewalletWES
Family Shopping Night: Tuesday, November 16 4:30 - 7pm
Please use the sign up genius link below to join us for this event. We are limiting people per time slot to help with spacing while indoors to this fun event. (There will be 20 families during each time period.)
PJ & B: Pajamas and Bedtime Stories Virtual Event: November 8th 7-8pm
Join us for a special Virtual Family Night at bit.ly/WESfair WES teachers will be reading aloud some of the featured Scholastic Books from our Fall Fair. So, get your comfy cozies on and snuggle in for some great stories before bedtime.
Before & After School Program for 2021-2022
Our school offers before and after school options for families needing student care before (7:00AM - 8:45AM) and after (4:00PM-6:00PM) normal school operating hours.
Registration is ongoing throughout the school year. The registration packet can be found here:
Questions about the programs can be directed to:
Before School: Rod Mulford firstname.lastname@example.org
After School: Nancy Navecky email@example.com
News from the PTA
Thank you to our Weatherstone community for the support and participation in this year’s Fun Run. It was a fun two weeks for the students, and we exceeded our school goal for fundraising! We couldn’t have done it with you all!
- 4-19- WES Book Fair
- 8- Pajamas & Bedtime Stories Virtual Event, 7-8 PM
- 11- NO SCHOOL- Veterans Day Holiday
- 12- NO SCHOOL
- 16- Family Shopping Night for Book Fair, 4:30-7 PM
- 24-26- NO SCHOOL- Thanksgiving Break
- 20th-January 2nd- NO SCHOOL: Winter Break