Explorer Express for 5/3/21
In this edition of the EE you will find:
- WCPSS Schedule Reminder
- WES Staff Appreciation Week
- EOG Testing Information and Dates
- Spring Book Fair Information
- Material Pickup in May for VA
- CASS Newsletter for May
- WES PTA News
- Yearbook Order Last Chance
- Upcoming Dates
WCPSS Schedule Reminder
Please note that this week's schedule includes 5 full days of instruction and no remote learning days. The last 2 remote learning days for our students will be May 13 and May 26.
Staff Appreciation Week May 3-7
Please join the PTA in thanking our teachers, specialists, and staff for all they do. Please see this flyer for more information on the daily themes.
- Monday 5/3 – BLOOM where you learn!
- Tuesday 5/4 – Send in the CARDS!
- Wednesday 5/5 – What’s in a NAME?
- Thursday 5/6 – SUPPLY them with sunshine!
- Friday 5/7 – Enjoy the little TREATS!
EOG Testing Dates
As we approach the end of this school year, we would like to share information on the expectations for students to participate in end-of-year state testing. The Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) is expecting all students to take the following tests as is required by federal and state law: Reading & Math Grades 3-5. Please note that students who are in VA will test on the same day as Face-to-Face Students. There will be NO LIVE MEETS in the AM for VA grade on the date the tests will be given for students on that grade level. (For example, 3rd Grade VA Students will not have Live Meets on 5/19 and 5/24.)
Below are dates that we have scheduled EOGs for Weatherstone:
- Wednesday 5/19: 3rd Grade ELA & 5th Grade Science
- Thursday 5/20: 4th Grade ELA
- Friday 5/21: 5th Grade ELA
- Monday 5/24: 3rd Grade Math
- Tuesday 5/25: 4th Grade Math
- Wednesday 5/26: Asynchronous Day for all Students
- Thursday 5/27: 5th Grade Math
- Friday 5/28: 3rd Grade Read to Achieve (Selected Students)
Spring Book Fair Information
Books Can Take You Anywhere: Scholastic Book Fair May 3rd - 14th
Students who are here at school will have an opportunity to preview the fair and create a wish list to bring home to families to share on April 30 and May 3 & 4th. They will then have an opportunity to purchase books from May 6th - 14th during a scheduled visit with their class. Due to safety restrictions, we will not be able to allow parents to join their child during their buying time as we have done in years past.
We ask that you set up an eWallet so that students have a contactless way to pay for their books. We will not be accepting cash this year. You can find information on how to set up your child's eWallet at our schools fair website at: bit.ly/WESEWALLET
Other Ways to Shop:
Online shopping with free shipping to your home with purchases over $25 at bit.ly/WESEWALLET
Curbside shopping: Check out the google slide show and then order using the google form to pick up books curbside
Sidewalk Sale for our Virtual Families: May 13th 10 - 3pm
PJ & B: Pajamas and Bedtime Stories Virtual Event: May 11th 7 - 8pm
Join us for a special Virtual Family Night at bit.ly/WESFAIR. WES teachers will be reading aloud some of the featured Scholastic Books from our Spring Fair. So, get your comfy cozies on and snuggle in for some great stories before bedtime.
Material Pickup for VA Families
May 13th (Asynchronous Remote Learning Day) will be our next and final material pick event for VA families. All VA families, please plan to come to school on this day to pick up necessary supplies and materials for the last month of school. We will send more information about times in the next week.
Counseling and Student Services News (CASS)
- CASS Newsletter May Vol. 14
- Coping Skills for the End of the Year for Parents and Students
- Special Event for Virtual Academy Students returning to the Building for EOG’s
- Problem Solving for Kids (Lower and Upper Grades!)
- New Book Nook Selections!
News from the WES PTA
Yearbook Orders Last Chance
Forget to order a yearbook? Here is one last chance to do so:
- 3-14- Spring Book Fair
- 3-7- Staff Appreciation Week Sponsored by the WES PTA
- 3-7- Full Week of School (5 days In-person OR 5 days Live Meets)
- 11- Virtual Event: Pajamas & Bedtime Stories, 7-8 PM
- 13- Remote Asynchronous Day
- 13- Book Fair Sidewalk Shop for VA Families
- 13- Virtual Field Day
- 13- Material Pickup for VA Families
- 17-21 Full Week of School (5 days In-person OR 5 days Live Meets)
- 12-28 EOG Testing Days
- 26- Remote Asynchronous Day/Material Drop-off Day
- 31- Memorial Day Holiday NO SCHOOL
- 10- Last Day of School