Explorer Express for 4/23/21
Good Afternoon Explorer Families!
There have been many announcements from WCPSS about the end of the school year in the past two weeks. We knew we had a longer EE for this week and wanted to provide your family with the weekend to review the announcements. In this edition of the EE you will find:
- WCPSS VA Enrollment Information for 2021-22
- EOG Testing Information for VA Families
- WCPSS Remote Learning Day Change Next Month
- Spring Book Fair Information
- Material Pickup in May for VA
- CASS Newsletter for April
- WES PTA News
- Yearbook Order Last Chance
- WES Staff Appreciation Week May 3-7
- Upcoming Dates
Virtual Academy Enrollment for 2021-22 School Year
WCPSS will offer a Virtual Academy for students for the 2021-22 school year. Families who wish to enroll their students in VA for next school year should register using this link: VA Registration.
Please note the following highlights:
- Registration is open now until 5 PM on Sunday, May 5th
- Admission after May 5th is not guaranteed due to class size limits
- WCPSS Virtual Academy 2021-22 Website
- WCPSS VA Frequently Asked Questions
- Weatherstone plans to offer Before and After School Care starting in August
- Enrollment is for the full year
- Class size limits may require schools to combine VA classes
EOG Testing for VA Families
The form linked here (WES VA EOG Family Participation Survey) is required for all 3-5 VA Families ONLY to complete in order to share your intentions with testing. Please submit this form by Wednesday, 4/28.
As we approach the end of this unusual school year, we would like to share information on the expectations for students to participate in end-of-year state testing. The Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) is expecting all students to take the following tests as is required by federal and state laws:
- End-of-grade tests in Reading (grades 3-8), Mathematics (grades 3-8), and Science (grades 5 and 8)
Students can only take these tests at school. We are using the flexibility provided by NCDPI in expanding the testing window as needed, along with appropriate health and safety protocols, to ensure that state testing can occur safely. Families participating in the Virtual Academy will be able to send their children to the school building on the day(s) set aside for testing and will be receiving information from school as to how that process will work.
Remote Learning Day Change
- The Remote Learning Asynchronous Day that was scheduled for 5/5 has been made a regular day of school.
- The week of May 3-7 will be a full week of school.
- Thursday, 5/13 has now become a Remote Learning Asynchronous Day.
Spring Book Fair Information
Books Can Take You Anywhere: Scholastic Book Fair May 3rd - 14th
Students who are here at school will have an opportunity to preview the fair and create a wish list to bring home to families to share on April 30 and May 3 & 4th. They will then have an opportunity to purchase books from May 6th - 14th during a scheduled visit with their class. Due to safety restrictions, we will not be able to allow parents to join their child during their buying time as we have done in years past.
We ask that you set up an eWallet so that students have a contactless way to pay for their books. We will not be accepting cash this year. You can find information on how to set up your child's eWallet at our schools fair website at: bit.ly/WESEWALLET
Other Ways to Shop:
Online shopping with free shipping to your home with purchases over $25 at bit.ly/WESEWALLET
Curbside shopping: Check out the google slide show and then order using the google form to pick up books curbside
Sidewalk Sale for our Virtual Families: May 13th 10 - 3pm
PJ & B: Pajamas and Bedtime Stories Virtual Event: May 11th 7 - 8pm
Join us for a special Virtual Family Night at bit.ly/WESFAIR. WES teachers will be reading aloud some of the featured Scholastic Books from our Spring Fair. So, get your comfy cozies on and snuggle in for some great stories before bedtime.
Material Pickup for VA Families
May 13th (Asynchronous Remote Learning Day) will be our next and final material pick event for VA families. All VA families, please plan to come to school on this day to pick up necessary supplies and materials for the last month of school. We will send more information about times in the next week.
Counseling and Student Services News (CASS)
- CASS Newsletter April Vol. 13
- Parenting tips for behavior struggles
- Exploring nature with the five senses - Nature Scavenger Hunt
- Welcome to our new school nurse
- Five strategies to help kids resolve conflicts
- New Book Nook Selections
News from the WES PTA
Yearbook Orders Last Chance
Forget to order a yearbook? Here is one last chance to do so:
Staff Appreciation Week May 3-7
Please join the PTA in thanking our teachers, specialists, and staff for all they do. Please see this flyer for more information on the daily themes. (Reminders will be sent home next week.)
- Monday 5/3 – BLOOM where you learn!
- Tuesday 5/4 – Send in the CARDS!
- Wednesday 5/5 – What’s in a NAME?
- Thursday 5/6 – SUPPLY them with sunshine!
- Friday 5/7 – Enjoy the little TREATS!
- 26- School Improvement Plan Meeting 8am
- 28- Remote Asynchronous Day
- 3-14- Spring Book Fair
- 3-7- Staff Appreciation Week Sponsored by the WES PTA
- 3-7- Full Week of School (5 days In-person OR 5 days Live Meets)
- 11th- Virtual Event: Pajamas & Bedtime Stories, 7-8 PM
- 13th- Remote Asynchronous Day
- 13th- Book Fair Sidewalk Shop for VA Families
- 13th- Virtual Field Day
- 13th- Material Pickup for VA Families
- 13-June 10 3-5 EOG Testing Window (Exact Dates TBA)
- 17-21 Full Week of School (5 days In-person OR 5 days Live Meets)
- 26- Remote Asynchronous Day/Material Drop-off Day
- 31- Memorial Day Holiday NO SCHOOL
- 10- Last Day of School