Weatherstone Elementary 4th Quarter Update
Dear Weatherstone Families,
Throughout the past few weeks there have been several updates from the CDC, NC DHHS, and the NC Department of Public Instruction regarding Face to Face instruction for students.
As the principal at Weatherstone I wanted to take the opportunity to update you on the latest decisions and their impact at our school.
- Yesterday the WCPSS Board of Education approved a plan that will allow students in grades 6-12 the choice of returning to Plan A instruction in April.
- Also, in accordance with recently passed legislation of Senate Bill 220, all families including K-5 families, who want to change their student to or from the Virtual Academy, will need to communicate this to our school by April 1. (Some families have placed requests in the past few weeks and we will reach out to confirm your choice.)
- Changes for students who want to move to or from Virtual Academy will be implemented no later than April 19. This additional time will allow for any necessary changes to student or teacher schedules.
- Mr. Chadwick & Mrs. Thomas will host an optional information session for families this Thursday, March 25 from 8:15-9:00am.
- Login with your child’s WakeID
- Meet Code: WESParentMeet
Following are several important points families should review when considering their students' return to daily instruction or move to the Virtual Academy:
- Families of students with IEPs or 504 plans are being contacted by one of our staff members. You must make your decision by April 1. Students with an IEP or 504 Plan will begin in-person instruction on April 8.
- Families of students without IEPs or 504 plans who would like to move from or to the Virtual Academy should complete the following request form due April 1. Students without an IEP or 504 Plan will have the opportunity to begin in-person instruction by April 19.
- Please note, any and all changes for your student may very well initiate teacher changes, changes in instructional delivery, changes in schedules or service providers. We are still required to meet class size law mandates in both the Face to Face and Virtual Academy K-3 classes. Students will be placed where there are available seats. We will attempt to make as few changes as possible, but that will depend upon the number of requests we receive.
- Our goal will be to have new class assignments communicated to those requesting a change by Wednesday, April 7.
- One of the WCPSS Teacher Workdays was moved from May 13 to April 7. The district made this revision to provide schools an additional day following spring break before students arrive.
- WCPSS will continue to follow the calendars found here for all families and provide Remote Asynchronous Days during the for ALL students on the following days:
- March 24
- April 14
- April 28
- May 5
- May 26
Our school is operating under Plan A in “Minimal Social Distancing,” but still requires NC Department of Health and Human Services protocols:
- Social distancing protocols to the extent possible and as practicable;
- Cloth face coverings;
- Cleaning and hygiene protocols;
- Protecting vulnerable populations;
- Conducting regular screening and ongoing self-monitoring of symptoms; and
- Appropriate steps to address suspected, presumptive or confirmed cases of COVID-19.
We realize that this is one more change in a school year that has seen significant changes and challenges. We understand that some families may not want to make another change with one quarter left in the school year, while some families may feel that a change is best. Our goal is to provide you all with the information and options so that you can make the best decision for your family.
- Wednesday, March 24 is a Remote Asynchronous Day
- Spring Break - Monday, March 29 through Wednesday, April 7