Explorer Express for the Week of 11/16/20
Material Distribution & Book Return
We will have our next round of material distribution this Wednesday, November 18th. We will be distributing materials for ALL VA students & 4-5 Cohorts 2 & 3 who do not have younger siblings in school. F2F K-3 and 4-5 Cohort 1 families do not need to come to pick up, as we will distribute their materials to them at school. During this round, we will distribute materials needed through the end of the fall semester (January 15th).
All students in Grades 3rd-5th will need to return the following books this week:
3rd: Rain School & Nasreen’s Secret School
4th: Love that Dog
5th: Esperanza Rising
As usual, families will pull up to the bus lane in front of the school. Please have your carpool tag or a piece of paper with your student’s name on it visible in your car to make the process easier and faster. (We do not have a pickup time for Kindergarten this time, as they have received their materials already. We will be in touch with Kindergarten families about a future pickup time in December.)
12:00-12:45- 1st Grade
1:00-1:45- 2nd & 3rd Grades
2:00-2:45- 4th & 5th Grades
Information for Returning to School Face-to-Face
All K-3 Plan B students will begin daily instruction on Monday.
4-5 Plan B students will begin rotations on Monday, with Cohort 1 in the building this week.
**ALL 4-5 Plan B students begin new schedules this week. (WES Daily Schedules) Students in Cohorts 2 & 3 will need to follow their homeroom teacher’s schedule. Teachers will continue to remind their students about the changes this week during live Google Meets.
We encourage all families to review the following information this week in preparation for sending your student to school found on the WCPSS Return to Campus Website.
- WCPSS Return to Campus Guide
- Student Accountability and Required Health Protocols (En Espanol)
- Technology Guidance for Return to Campus (En Espanol)
- WCPSS Fall Semester 2020
- WES Calendar
- WES Arrival & Dismissal Procedures for Bus, Carpool & Walkers
What to Bring (Students do not need any school supplies)
- Facemasks (1 worn and 1 extra in backpack)
- Reusable Water Bottle (Labeled with Name)
- Technology Device (WCPSS Chromebook or Personal BYOD)
- Fully charged device plus a charger
- Math/Language Arts Packets (3rd Grade EL books)
- Beach Towel (to sit on outside for meals)
- Lunch & Snack (Breakfast and Lunch are free for ALL students)
Online Book Fair Open Now
- November 9th-22nd
- All proceeds from this fair will go directly to our school library to purchase eBooks that can be enjoyed at home and at school
- Books delivered directly to your house at no charge for orders of $25 dollars or more
Visit our Book Fair at https://www.scholastic.com/bf/weatherstoneelementaryschool1
Books to Go Week of November 16th
- All books that were placed on hold last week prior to Friday will be ready for pickup this week during our materials distribution on Wednesday.
- If you have books that are ready for pickup please let one of the staff members know and they will gather your books to give to you. There will be NO Books to Go from the media center this Tuesday and Thursday in order to help us transition and serve all the students that will be on campus this week.
- Any new hold requests from Friday of last week through Thanksgiving will be ready following our Thanksgiving break. Thank you for your understanding.
Vaccinations, Health Assessments & Medications for Plan B Students
- All families are reminded that all new students to WES (both the Face to Face and Virtual Academy students) are required to have completed and updated immunizations and Health Assessments. Students whose documentation is not complete will be excluded from school (in person and/or online) after 12/30.
- Students with medications who will be returning to school in the next few weeks, will need to have an adult bring the medication and a signed 1702 Form to the front office before returning to school. (Please call the front office to schedule an appointment to drop off the medication and form.)
- Links to the 1702 Form:
- This week’s character strength is Gratitude
- Gratitude is showing thanks
- Parents can visit the Positivity Project website here and can access resources for families at https://posproject.org/p2-for-families/ (The password for the family resources is P2)
Counseling and Student Services News (CASS) **New Edition**
- CASS Newsletter October Vol.6
- 40 Simple Ways to be Grateful!
- Information on 2020 Holiday Assistance for WES Families
- Social Emotional Learning at Home: Using Praise and Rewards Wisely
- New “Book Nook” selections
News from the WES PTA
Yearbook Ordering Information
Thank you for contributing to the yearbook by helping us tell the story of the year. This week we are looking for photos of arts & crafts you are doing at home or at school. You can click here to submit your photo.
And as a reminder, you can purchase your 2020-2021 yearbook here now.
WES PTA Virtual Spirit Night at City Barbecue
Eat Barbeque and Support Weatherstone Elementary—giving back never tasted so good!
DATE OF FUNDRAISER: 12/3 11am-8pm
LOCATION: City Barbeque Cary, 1305 Kildaire Farm Rd.
- On 12/3 at City Barbeque Cary, we’ll get 20% of the proceeds from every order we bring in!
- Ordering in person? Show this message to the cashier at checkout (either a printout or just on your phone).
- Ordering online? Use code FundA at checkout at https://order.citybbq.com/menu/cary for pickup or delivery on FUNDRAISER DATE.
- Ordering over the phone? Ask to apply code FundA when you provide your payment information.
Want to increase your impact? Place a group order online: a bigger order for you means a bigger donation for us! Start a group order at https://order.citybbq.com/menu/cary, send the link around the office, and be a hero (to both us and your coworkers). Just remember to use code FundA at checkout!
- 9th-22nd- Book Fair
- 16th- All K-3 Grades Plan B Students (On Campus M, T, Th, F)
- 16th- 4th-5th Grades Face-to-Face Cohort 1 (Cohort 1 On Campus M, T, Th, F)
- 18th- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day for All Students
- 18th- Materials Distribution Day for VA & 4/5 Remote Students
- 18th- School Improvement Plan Virtual Meeting (Contact email@example.com to attend remotely)
- 23rd- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day for All Students
- 24th- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day for All Students
- 25th-27th- NO SCHOOL (Thanksgiving Break)
- 30th- 4-5 Grades Face-to-Face Cohort 2 (Cohort 2 on Campus M, T, Th, F)