Explorer Express for the Week of 11/2/20
No School Tuesday, Nov. 3 (Election Day)
This Tuesday, 11/3/20 is a Teacher Workday. While there will be no Google Meets or assignments this day, students are still able to access Dreambox, Letterland, and IStation for practice.
Plan B Cohort 2: Information for Returning to School Face-to-Face
We encourage all families to review the following information this week in preparation for sending your student to school found on the WCPSS Return to Campus Website.
- WCPSS Return to Campus Guide
- Student Accountability and Required Health Protocols (En Espanol)
- Technology Guidance for Return to Campus (En Espanol)
- WCPSS Fall Semester 2020
- WES Calendar
- WES Arrival & Dismissal Procedures for Bus, Carpool & Walkers
What to Bring (Students do not need any school supplies)
- Fully charged device plus a charger
- Facemasks (1 worn and 1 extra in backpack)
- Reusable Water Bottle (Labeled with Name)
- Technology Device (WCPSS Chromebook or Personal BYOD)
- Math/Language Arts Packets (3rd Grade EL books)
- Beach Towel (to sit on outside for meals)
- Lunch & Snack (Breakfast and Lunch are free for ALL students)
Specials Office Time
Specialists will now hold Office Times from 3:15-3:30 daily for students who are VA or Remote Plan B. During this time, students can check in with their Specialist teachers or ask questions about assignments. This will take the place of their time to check in during Specials time. (The Specialists will be teaching in the classrooms throughout the building.)
Vaccinations, Health Assessments & Medications for Plan B Students
- All families are reminded that all new students to WES (both the Face to Face and Virtual Academy students) are required to have completed and updated immunizations and Health Assessments. Students whose documentation is not complete will be excluded from school (in person and/or online) after 10/31.
- Students with medications who will be returning to school in the next few weeks, will need to have an adult bring the medication and a signed 1702 Form to the front office before returning to school. (Please call the front office to schedule an appointment to drop off the medication and form.)
- Links to the 1702 Form:
Counseling and Student Services News (CASS) **New Edition**
- The CASS Newsletter (Vol. 5 ) is linked here CASS Newsletter November Vol. 5
- Visit the Imagine Neighborhood, a podcast designed to help children and grown-ups grow their social-emotional skills
- WCPSS Information on Masks
- New “Book Nook” selections
- 8 Tips to Help Your Child Focus and Stay Engage During Distance Learning
- The CASS Newsletter will be updated biweekly. We will share each edition for two consecutive weeks and then will update.
- This week’s character strength is Perspective
- Parents can visit the Positivity Project website here and can access resources for families at https://posproject.org/p2-for-families/ (The password for the family resources is P2)
Morning Announcements on Remote Learning Asynchronous Days
On district-added Remote Learning Days, students will log into their homeroom Google Meets for the morning announcements and attendance. We will remind students of this prior to each district Remote Learning Day. The next district Remote Learning Day is 11/18/20.
Is your child using a Personal Device? You need to follow these instructions!
Are you on your laptop or personal Chromebook and you can sign in to Wake ID, but you can’t get into Google Classroom, Google Meet or Google Drive?
You probably need to add another user onto Chrome.
Can’t add a user on your personal Chromebook?
Family Link: If you know the family code to add users, you will need to add users. If you can’t find your Family Link code, you may need to reset your Chromebook to Factory Default.
Online Book Fair Coming Soon
- November 9-16th
- All proceeds from this fair will go directly to our school library to purchase eBooks that can be enjoyed at home and at school
- Books delivered directly to your house at no charge for orders of $25 dollars or more
- Visit our Book Fair at https://www.scholastic.com/bf/weatherstoneelementaryschool1
News from the WES PTA
Do you enjoy art, music and dance or have an interest in writing, producing films and taking photos? Then join us and have fun unleashing your inner artist with PTA Reflections! This year’s theme, “I Matter Because…,” calls for your own unique interpretation through the arts. For inspiration, visit the Reflections virtual art gallery and learn more about prizes and scholarships at PTA.org/Reflections/Awards.
All information and entry forms for our Reflections Art Competition can be found here.
*The deadline for entries has been pushed back by the county. Therefore our NEW reflections due date will be Friday November 6th!*
Thank you for all the incredible photos you have submitted thus far! This week we are working on a page about Virtual learning. We welcome any photos you may have that show you in your virtual workspace!
Please click here to upload your photo:
- 2nd- K-3 Grades Face-to-Face Cohort 2 (Cohort 2 on campus M, W, Th, F)
- 3rd- NO SCHOOL (Teacher Workday--Election Day)
- 6th- PTA Reflections Due
- 9th-20th- Book Fair
- 9th- K-3 Grades Face-to-Face Cohort 3 (Cohort 3 on campus M, T, Th, F)
- 11th- NO SCHOOL (Veterans Day)
- 16th- All K-3 Grades Plan B Students (On Campus M, T, Th, F)
- 16th- 4th-5th Grades Face-to-Face Cohort 1 (Cohort 1 On Campus M, T, Th, F)
- 18th- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day for All Students
- 23rd- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day
- 24th- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day
- 25th-27th- NO SCHOOL (Thanksgiving Break)
- 30th- 4-5 Grades Face-to-Face Cohort 2 (Cohort 2 on Campus M, T, Th, F)