Explorer Express for the Week of 10/5/20
Beginning on Monday, 10/5, the morning news will be streamed live through every homeroom’s Google Meet link. This change will provide time for staff to take attendance and begin instruction as soon as the announcements are over. This will also allow for our school day to have one less transition and provide for a smoother opening to our school day. Finally, this change will incorporate a needed change as some of our students transition to Face to Face learning.
- Get Up And Move Time with Coach Mulford will remain at 9:00 and can still be viewed using bit.ly/WESNews
- Teachers and students will join their homeroom Google Meets at 9:15 for the morning announcements and will stay on for morning meetings/P2
Remote Learning Asynchronous Days Added
After reviewing feedback from families and staff, WCPSS has permitted schools to add a Remote Learning Asynchronous day to weeks that have five school days. These days will help to reduce weekly screen time hours, provide families with flexibility during longer school weeks, and will provide students opportunities to catch up on and complete past unfinished or returned assignments.
We will be adding two Remote Learning Asynchronous days in the month of October:
- Wednesday, 10/7
- Wednesday, 10/14
While these are still required instructional days, on these days, there will be no whole classroom live meets and we will not follow the regular instructional schedule. Students will be able to work independently on these days to complete tasks at their own pace based on individual need.
Students will be provided with asynchronous work to complete during the day and can also use the time to catch up on any unfinished work. Some of the work may be assigned the day before (on Tuesday); however, as this is a required instructional day, most work will be posted in the morning by 9:15 am. This may include activities such as:
- Independent Reading, Writing, Math, Science and/or Social Studies Lessons
- Specials Assignments
- IStation Practice
- Small group interventions/enrichment
Lunch bunch groups that were scheduled to meet on these days will be moved to Mondays during these weeks.
- Our next material distribution will be on Wednesday, October 7th. (The same day as our first Remote Learning Asynchronous Day.)
- Families will be able to pick up instructional materials for the upcoming weeks of school as well as Fun Run supplies for our upcoming Fun Run Event.
- This will be a curbside pickup event that will be held in our bus loop lane. Families will drive up in their cars and staff members will be outside to give instructions
- Bring your CAR POOL TAG (we distributed these in the first round of material distribution) to display in your windshield to help staff to move more quickly and efficiently (or a sign with your child’s name and grade if you cannot find it)
- To speed up the process we have assigned the following times for pickup:
- 11:00-11:45: Kindergarten
- 12:00-12:45 1st Grade
- 1:00-1:45: 2nd Grade
- 2:00-2:45: 3rd Grade
- 3:00-3:45: 4th Grade & 5th Grade
- 4:00-6:00: Anyone who could not pick up during their assigned time
- If possible, we encourage students to come along for the ride to pick up the materials and say hi to WES staff. However, we understand that you may only be able to make one trip. If you have children in more than one grade level and would only like to make one trip, please come at your youngest child's date and time.
WES PTA Fundraiser: Apex Virtual Fun Run Program
- Weatherstone will be having our Virtual Fun Run Program starting on Wednesday, 10/7 through Monday, 10/19
- The Fun Run is a PTA Fundraiser that encourages physical activity through a Fun Run event where students run laps outdoors
- Students will pick up Fun Run materials during the WES Material Distribution Event on 10/7
- The Fun Run will take place virtually on Tuesday, 10/19. Students will be encouraged to complete the Fun Run at their homes at a time that is convenient for them on that day
- More information on the Fun Run will be shared in the coming days
- Week 3 of the Positivity Project (P2) at WES will start on Monday, 10/5
- This week’s character strength is Open-Mindedness
- Open Mindedness is when you consider new ideas and try new things. You examine things from all sides.
- The Positivity Project’s new hashtag is #PositivityinAction
- Parents can visit the Positivity Project website here and can access resources for families at https://posproject.org/p2-for-families/ (The password for the family resources is P2)
Counseling and Student Services News (CASS) *New Edition*
- The CASS Newsletter (October Vol. 3) is linked here CASS Newsletter October Vol. 3
- The CASS Newsletter will be updated biweekly. We will share each edition for two consecutive weeks and then will update.
- In this Week’s Newsletter
- WCPSS Return to Campus Guide for Families
- How to Talk to Your Children About the News
- Name That Emotion With Murray from Sesame Street
- New Books in the Book Nook
Is your student having trouble logging in to Wake ID? Are you struggling to navigate this digital world of virtual learning? We are here to help! Check out our slideshow on some common tech issues:. TECH 101
Contact Us With Technology Concerns
News from the WES PTA
Do you enjoy art, music and dance or have an interest in writing, producing films and taking photos? Then join us and have fun unleashing your inner artist with PTA Reflections! This year’s theme, “I Matter Because…,” calls for your own unique interpretation through the arts. Entries for this year’s program will be Due Monday October 26th. More information about the 2020 program coming soon! For inspiration, visit the Reflections virtual art gallery and learn more about prizes and scholarships at PTA.org/Reflections/Awards.
This is a different year and we are going to create a unique yearbook filled with content provided by our entire community. The Weatherstone Elementary Yearbook Staff needs your help! We are creating a page about Pets and we want to include you! Please click here https://images.jostens.com/415464698 to fill in a google form to upload pictures and answer a few short questions. Please fill in the form by 10/15.
We are excited to feature YOU in the yearbook. Thank you for helping us tell the story of the year,
Weatherstone Elementary Yearbook Staff
- 7th- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day
- 7th-16th- WES Fun Run Program (PTA Fundraiser)
- 14th- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day
- 15th- Yearbook Pet Photos Due
- 19th- School Improvement Team Meeting, 8:15
- 19th- WES Virtual Fun Run
- 22nd- End of the 1st Quarter
- 23rd- No School (Teacher Work Day)
- 26th-30th- K-3 Face-to-Face Cohort Begin Rotations
- 26th- WES PTA Reflections Submissions Due
- 30th- Quarter 1 Report Cards Go Home