Explorer Express for 3/16/20
Good Evening WES Families & Students,
I hope that everyone had a safe and healthy day with your families. Today we are sharing a WES Extended Break Optional Activities Document with you as a link in this email, and on our website. This live document contains lists of activities for students to do during this extended time off. We know that your first priority is and should be keeping your family safe and healthy, but as a parent myself, I want to provide you with resources and activities for students while we are off school. The Weatherstone Staff will be updating this document with new ideas, so I encourage you to check on it occasionally.
We also anticipate WCPSS will be sharing resources with families in the next week or so. We will be sure to pass that along as well. Please note that WCPSS has stated that all activities sent by schools or teachers is OPTIONAL and will not be counted for grades.
There are links to outside resources and materials in this document and encourage parents to preview any material that they share with their students. We noted recommended grades on some of the links and ask that just as we do in school, an adult is monitoring student Internet use at all times.
WES Extended Break Optional Activity Document
Here is the link to the document:
More links and activities coming soon, including Read Aloud Stories (even Bedtime stories with WES STAFF)!
Weatherstone Elementary School Personal Item Pickups Tuesday, March 17th 12-5PM ONLY
Tomorrow the building will be accessible by sign in ONLY to staff, parents and students to pick up essential items such as medications, jackets, personal electronic devices. Please note access will be very limited and we will be escorting families and limiting the amount individuals per CDC and NC DHHS guidelines. We ask that if you are in need of picking up a student's medication you email Ms. Jackie (email@example.com) and Mr. Chadwick (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we know to expect that you are coming. Directions will be posted outside and we will have a line of cones as a guide for families, to prevent large groups from forming.
We will also be able to answer phone calls at that time as well. (919-380-6988)
WES Families in Need
At this time we would also like offer an extended hand to any WES Families in need. If your family is not able to travel to one of the WCPSS and Wake County Food Distribution Sites listed below, please complete the following form and a member of the WES Staff will reach out to you.
Also, we have heard from a few families looking for ways to support our WES Students and Families. Please complete this link and we will be sure to contact you if there is a specific need. Please also note that there are links listed at the end of the WCPSS Food Distribution Information of ways to help the Wake County Community in general.
On WRAL's website a story was posted about access to the Internet for families in need for FREE for the next 60 days. More information can be found here.
WCPSS Food Distribution Sites Information From WCPSS
With the announcement of school closures from March 16 through at least March 27, we want to inform you of food access options throughout Wake County during these unprecedented times.
A number of schools and community centers will serve as food distribution sites for Wake County families beginning Tuesday, March 17.
- Families may pick up food at the locations and times indicated below.
- Food will be distributed by volunteers at curbside to minimize safety concerns.
- The food will be placed in safe and sanitized food containers.
- ID is not required to pick up food.
Currently, the following sites will be offering lunch and breakfast for pickup for students aged 18 and under - 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m, Monday through Friday, beginning March 17:
- Poe Magnet Elementary School, 400 Peyton St., Raleigh
- Rogers Lane Elementary School, 201 N. Rogers Lane, Raleigh
- Creech Road Elementary School, 450 Creech Road, Garner
- Wendell Middle School, 3409 NC Hwy. 97, Wendell
- Zebulon Magnet Elementary School, 700 Proctor St., Zebulon
- Millbrook Magnet Elementary School, 1520 E. Millbrook Dr., Raleigh
- Briarcliff Elementary School, 1220 Pond St., Cary
- Pine Acres Community Center, 402 McLean St., Fuquay-Varina
- PAVE SE Raleigh Charter School, 3420 Idlewood Village Dr., Raleigh
- Wake County Human Services Northern Regional Center, 350 Holding Ave., Wake Forest
- Washington Terrace Apartments, 1951 Booker Dr., Raleigh
- Raleigh Millbank Apartments, 1500 N. Raleigh Blvd., Raleigh
- The Oaks Apartments, 3911 Water Oak Dr., Raleigh
- New Hope Village Apartments, 4321 Grandiflora Lane, Raleigh
- Casa De Luna Apartments, 3918 Bonneville Court, Raleigh
- Juniper Level Baptist Church, 9104 Sauls Road, Raleigh
Confirmed Community Sites provided by Kirk of Kildaire Presbyterian Church will have lunch for pickup available to any students aged 18 and under:
- First United Methodist, 117 S. Academy St., Cary, Mon.-Fri., 12:15 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.
- Chatham Forest Apartments, 880 Glendale Dr., Cary, Tues. and Thurs., 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p .m.
- Apex First Baptist, 419 S. Salem St., Apex, Mon. and Wed., 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Arbors at Cary Apartments, 200 Wrenn Dr., Cary, Mon.- Thurs., 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Crosstimber Apartments 900 Golden Horseshoe Cir, Morrisville, NC 27560 - Mon.-Fri. 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle Mobile Market Locations and Times is available to all community members:
- Abundant Life Cathedral, 4400 Old Poole Road, Raleigh, Fourth Saturdays (beginning 3/28/20)., 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Bread for Life Mobile Market at Zebulon Boys & Girls Club, 1320 Shepard School Road, Zebulon, Third Saturdays (beginning 3/21/20) 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Community Helpers Service Center, 111 N. First Ave., Knightdale, Drive-thru, Thursdays (beginning 3/19/20), 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Martin Street Baptist Church, 1001 E. Martin St., Raleigh, Second Saturdays (beginning 4/11/20), 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Praise Temple Mobile Market, 1329, U.S. Hwy 70, Fourth Saturdays (beginning 3/28/20), 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Wake Forest Baptist Church, 107 S. Ave., Wake Forest, Third Tuesdays (beginning 3/17/20), 4:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
We are grateful for the outreach from many of our parents and community members asking how they can help. We ask that you take any food donations to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle or Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC.
If you would like to volunteer to support our work with food access and food security, please fill out this form and we will contact you soon.