March Magic at MCES
Important Dates to Remember:
March 2-6 – Read Across America Week for Tracks 1 and 4; Book Character Parade on March 6 at 9:00 a.m.
March 4 – NC Statewide Tornado/Severe Weather Drill
March 6 – PTA Father Daughter Dance 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. in the gym
March 7 – Mock Science Olympiad Tournament for participants
March 9-13 – Read Across America Week for Tracks 2 and 3; Book Character Parade on March 13 at 9:00 a.m.
March 20 – PTA Mother Son Night 7:00-9:00 p.m.
March 27 – School Spirit Day – Dress for playing for favorite sport or as your favorite athlete
March 28 – Science Olympiad Tournament at South Garner High School
March 31 – 6:00 p.m. Transition to Middle School Information Session for parents of rising 6th graders
Dear MCES Families,
Our Academic Committee has planned two wonderful weeks of celebrating the love of reading! Mark your calendar and join us for the Book Character parades on Friday, March 6 (Tracks 1 and 4) and Friday, March 13 (Tracks 2 and 3). The parade will take place on the front track at 9:00 a.m.
On Wednesday, March 4th all schools in North Carolina will participate in a tornado/severe weather drill. This drill provides us the opportunity to teach our students how to respond in the event of a tornado or severe weather incident. The drill will take place at approximately 9:30 a.m. Classroom teachers will support students with getting into the appropriate position during the drill. If you have any questions related to the drill, please contact your child’s classroom teacher.
Flu and cold season are still here! Please adhere to the following procedures to help keep our students and staff healthy this season. Parents should use their best judgment when determining whether to send their children with a cold, cough, sore throat, upset stomach, etc. Based on WCPSS policy, students should stay at home if they have:
- a fever of 100° or higher; Students should be fever free for 24 hours without medication before returning to school.
- nausea, vomiting or diarrhea; Students should be without these symptoms for 12 hours before returning to school.
- a severe headache
- red, watery eyes with yellow drainage
- any undiagnosed rash
Our Science Olympiad teams are hard at work! Our teams will be practicing in a mock tournament on Saturday, March 7th. Teams will be participating in the tournament on Saturday, March 28th at Middle Creek High School. A special thank you to our Science Olympiad Co-Chairs Mrs. Saunders and Mrs. Hall for organizing our teams, supporting our coaches, and providing this great experience for our students. Go! Go! Science O!
For parents of rising middle school students, we will be hosting a Transition to Middle School meeting at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 31st. The presentation will be led by the WCPSS Family Academy staff. Information will be shared on to have a successful transition to middle school.
Kindergarten enrollment for 2020-2021 school year has opened. If you have a rising kindergarten student or know of one, please take time to enroll. Our kindergarten numbers are increasing daily. Due to NC Class Size Legislation, our kindergarten classrooms will average 19 students for the ’20-’21 school year. This is a change from 20 for this current school year. In order to ensure the same track assignment as an older sibling, please enroll your child now for kindergarten.
Other updates/events occurring at MCES:
- Single Subject Acceleration – Information for nominating students for SSA was sent to all Track 1 families earlier in February by the classroom teacher. The SSA nominating window for Tracks 2, 3, and 4 is March 23-27. The SSA assessment request form must be submitted to the school during the nominating window. There are no exceptions to this procedure. Forms are also available at the school. For more information please go https://www.wcpss.net/Page/3799 or contact Lisa Woodard at email@example.com.
- Mark your calendars for the MCES Night of the Arts on April 23rd. More details to come! This will be an event you will not want to miss. Every MCES student will have a piece of artwork on display!
- On Thursday, May 7th, we will be hosting a Parent Academy for parents of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students focused on preparing your child for the EOGs. It will begin at 6:00 p.m. in the media center.
- May 12th at 6:00 p.m. is our Rising Kindergarten Orientation for parents of rising MCES Kindergarten students. This is a parent information session.
- Other Upcoming Events:
- April 17th - Dancefest for Tracks 2 and 3
- April 20th - Make-Up Day for Dancefest for Tracks 2 and 3
- May 1st - Dancefest for Tracks 1 and 4
- May 4th - Make-Up Day for Dancefest for Tracks 2 and 3
- May 7th – Parent Academy: Preparing your child for the EOGs at 6:00 p.m.
- May 8th - Field Day for Tracks 1 and 2
- May 11th - Make-Up Day for Field Day for Tracks 1 and 2
- May 15th - Field Day for Tracks 3 and 4
- May 18th - Make-Up Day for Field Day for Tracks 3 and 4
- May 22nd - Memorial Day Celebration
- June 4th - Track 1 5th Grade Promotion Ceremony at 10:00 a.m.
- June 29th - Tracks 2, 3, and 4 5th Grade Promotion Ceremony at 6:00 p.m.
- Math Homework Resources: Math homework resources for each grade can be found at Homework Resources. This is a live document that the WCPSS Math Department updates on a quarterly basis.
- Positivity Project: Students will be learning about the character strengths of zest, humor, and forgiveness.
- Field Trips: Several grade levels will be participating in off-campus field trips. If you are volunteering as a chaperone or plan on attending the field trip you must be registered as an approved volunteer. Volunteer Registration is available in our main office from 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. daily. Please be aware the registration approval time can vary from a few days to a week or more depending on the volume of received registrations.
- Classroom Visits: All visitors into the building, must first sign-in at the front office using an ID that can be scanned. Classroom visits before, during, or after the school day should be arranged in advance by the classroom teacher. During these times, classroom teachers are preparing students for the day, instructing students, and preparing to get all students home the correct way. Please respect this request. If you need to meet with your child’s teacher, please reach out to them to schedule a conference.
If you have any questions, concerns or kudos, please contact me. Thank you for your continued support of Middle Creek Elementary.