MCES Loves Learning
Important Dates to Remember:
February 3-7 – School Guidance Counselor Appreciation Week
February 7 – PTA Father Daughter Dance
February 10-14 – Bus Driver Appreciation Week
February 14 – Track Change Request forms due by 3:00 p.m.
February 17 - Teacher Workday – no school for students
February 28 – Heart Health and Fitness Spirit Day – Students are encouraged to wear athletic clothes to school on this day.
March 2-6 – Read Across America Week for Tracks 1 and 4: Book Character Parade on March 9 at 9:00 a.m.
March 9-13 – Read Across America Week for Tracks 2 and 3; Book Character Parade on March 13 at 9:00 a.m.
March 31 – 6:00 p.m. Transition to Middle School Information Session for parents of rising 6th graders
Dear MCES Families,
This past Thursday evening we came together to enjoy the many talents of our MCES students! The evening was wonderful as our students performed a variety of routines that kept the audience engaged and on the edge of their seats! A special thank you to Mrs. Volpe and Ms. John for supporting this event! Also, thank you to our parent volunteers for your time to organize and plan the event for our students.
Flu and cold season are here! Please adhere to the following procedures to help keep our students and staff healthy this season. Parents should use their best judgment when determining whether to send their children with a cold, cough, sore throat, upset stomach, etc. Based on WCPSS policy, students should stay at home if they have:
- a fever of 100° or higher; Students should be fever free for 24 hours without medication before returning to school.
- nausea, vomiting or diarrhea; Students should be without these symptoms for 12 hours before returning to school.
- a severe headache
- red, watery eyes with yellow drainage
- any undiagnosed rash
It’s 70 degrees today as I write this update. Does this warm weather have anyone wanting to do a little spring cleaning? If so, we will be collecting gently used children’s books starting the first week in March for our Colts Reading Roundup program. Stay tuned for more information from Ms. Holland.
Kindergarten enrollment for 2020-2021 has opened. If you have a rising kindergarten student or know of one, please take time to enroll. Information regarding enrollment and the magnet application process can be found here: https://www.wcpss.net/domain/13656.
Tours for rising kindergarten students begin this week. Our kindergarten teachers are hosting tours starting and Wednesday, February 5th through Wednesday March 11th. The tours will be offered each Wednesday during those dates and will begin at 10:50 a.m. Please spread the word to members of our community regarding these opportunities to tour Middle Creek Elementary. A sign-up for the tours will be available on our website.
Other updates/events occurring at MCES:
- Math Homework Resources: Math homework resources for each grade can be found at Homework Resources. This is a live document that the WCPSS Math Department updates on a quarterly basis.
- Positivity Project: Students will be learning about the character strengths of social intelligence, love, and appreciation of nature and beauty.
- Track Change Requests: We accept track change requests once a year. Approved requests take effect at the beginning of the next academic year (July 2020). This year's track change request window will be open Wednesday, January 2nd at 8:00 a.m. and close Friday, February 14th at 3:00 p.m. Late forms will not be considered unless the track change would significantly improve the balance of classes. The form will be available on our website to print or in our front office starting January 2nd. All forms should be submitted to the front office by Friday, February 144h at 3:00 p.m. Parents of fifth-grade students should contact the middle school about track change requests for sixth grade.
- Classroom Visits: All visitors into the building, must first sign-in at the front office using an ID that can be scanned. Classroom visits before, during, or after the school day should be arranged in advance by the classroom teacher. During these times, classroom teachers are preparing students for the day, instructing students, and preparing to get all students home the correct way. Please respect this request. If you need to meet with your child’s teacher, please reach out to them to schedule a conference.
If you have any questions, concerns or kudos, please contact me. Thank you for your continued support of Middle Creek Elementary.