Happy New Year!
Important Dates to Remember:
January 14 – Tracks 1, 2, and 3 report cards go home
January 20 – Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
January 27 – Track 4 returns
January 29 – Spring Pictures for Tracks 1 and 2
January 30 – Talent Show at 6:00 p.m.
February 4 – Track 4 report cards go home/Tracks 1 and 2 interim reports go home
February 5 – Reflections Reception at 6:00 p.m.
February 17 – Teacher Workday
Dear MCES Families,
Happy New Year! I hope each of you had a wonderful holiday season spent with family and friends. My wish for you and your family in 2020 is a year of good cheer, happiness, peace and love.
Kindergarten enrollment for 2020-2021 has opened. If you have a rising kindergarten student or know of one, please take time to enroll. Information regarding enrollment and the magnet application process can be found here: https://www.wcpss.net/domain/13656.
For families or rising 6th grade students, please read the information located on WCPSS regarding applications for magnet and year-round programs.The information can be found at this link. In addition, middle school registration for course selection will begin around the middle of March. This process is facilitated by our school counselor, Mrs. Fillard
School Tours for prospective families are offered the first Friday of each month at 11:00 a.m. In addition, we will host an Open House events for prospective families on January 7th at 6:00 p.m. For families of incoming kindergarten students, our kindergarten teachers are hosting tours starting and Wednesday, February 5th through Wednesday March 11th. The tours will be offered each Wednesday during those dates and will begin at 10:50 a.m. Please spread the word to members of our community regarding these opportunities to tour Middle Creek Elementary. A sign-up for the tours will be available on our website.
Thursday, January 30th, is our 2nd Annual Talent Show. Last year we had a packed house! Plan to arrive early as this is an event you do not want to miss! The Talent Show will begin at 6:00 p.m.
Flu season is here! Please adhere to the following procedures to help keep our students and staff healthy this season. Based on WCPSS policy, students should stay at home if they have:
- a fever of 100° or higher (should be fever free for 24 hours without medication)
- nausea, vomiting or diarrhea (should be without for 12 hours)
- a severe headache
- red, watery eyes with yellow drainage
- any undiagnosed rash
Parents should use their best judgment when determining whether to send their children with a cold, cough, sore throat, upset stomach, etc.
Other updates/events occurring at MCES:
- Math Homework Resources: Math homework resources for each grade can be found at Homework Resources. This is a live document that the WCPSS Math Department updates on a quarterly basis.
- Positivity Project: Students will be learning about the character strengths of integrity, perseverance, fairness, and hope.
- Track Change Requests: We accept track change requests once a year. Approved requests take effect at the beginning of the next academic year (July 2019). This year's track change request window will be open Wednesday, January 2nd at 8:00 a.m. and close Friday, February 15th at 3:00 p.m. Late forms will not be considered unless the track change would significantly improve the balance of classes. The form will be available on our website to print or in our front office starting January 2nd. All forms should be submitted to the front office by Friday, February 15th at 3:00 p.m. Parents of fifth-grade students should contact the middle school about track change requests for sixth grade.
- Classroom Visits: All visitors into the building, must first sign-in at the front office using an ID that can be scanned. Classroom visits before, during, or after the school day should be arranged in advance by the classroom teacher. During these times, classroom teachers are preparing students for the day, instructing students, and preparing to get all students home the correct way. Please respect this request. If you need to meet with your child’s teacher, please reach out to them to schedule a conference.
If you have any questions, concerns or kudos, please contact me. Thank you for your continued support of Middle Creek Elementary.