So Nice It's November!
Important Dates to Remember:
November 4-15 – PTA Food Drive
November 11 – Veteran’s Day Holiday - School will be closed for students and staff.
November 16 - Saturday make-up day for Tracks 1, 3, and 4 for Sept. 5th inclement weather day. (School will dismiss at 12:00 p.m.)
November 22 – School Spirit Day – Dress in something to represent your family’s culture/custom
November 27, 28, 29 - School closed for Thanksgiving Holiday
December 7 - Saturday make-up day for Tracks 1, 2, and 4 for Sept. 6th inclement weather day. (School will dismiss at 12:00 p.m.)
October proved to be a very busy month for our school and our PTA. These events included conference night and Fall Festival. Thank you to all the parents and staff who volunteered their time to make these events a success for our community.
I would like to congratulate Mrs. Harward on being nominated as the MCES 2019-2020 Teacher of the Year. Mrs. Harward is a kindergarten teacher on Track 3 and this is her 13th year at MCES. She works diligently to meet each child where he or she is and encourages them to reach their full potential. She values the contribution of each child in her class and collaborates with all families to ensure each child’s success. Congratulations, Mrs. Harward!
Below are some reminders of upcoming events and school policies.
· READvolution: Our students have been working hard to reach our goal of reading/logging 5,000 books for the READvolution contest through WCPSS’ partnership with the Carolina Hurricanes. To celebrate the students’ success, we have offered some incentives for reaching certain milestones. When we reach 5,000 books we will have “Twin” day. Information about READvolution can be found on our school website.
· Science Olympiad: Science Olympiad is right around the corner and our co-chairs are looking for volunteers. If you know someone with a love of science and teaching/coaching 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students, please feel free to contact either myself or Mrs. Saunders (Science Olympiad co-chair). The support of volunteers makes this event possible for our students. Please consider volunteering!
· Cold Weather: As the temperature drops (as I type this it is 64 degrees outside, but it will drop!), please be sure that your children are prepared to go outside for recess. Please send your child with a sweater, warm coat, winter hat, and/or gloves depending on the weather.
· Cold and Flu Season: Please help us keep our students and staff healthy this season. Based on WCPSS policy, students should stay at home if they have:
o a fever of 100° or higher (should be without fever for 24 hours without medication)
o nausea, vomiting or diarrhea (should be without for 12 hours)
o a severe headache
o red, watery eyes with yellow drainage
o any undiagnosed rash
Parents should use their best judgment when determining whether or not to send their children with a cold, cough, sore throat, upset stomach, etc.
· Positivity Project: Students will be learning about the character strengths of bravery and gratitude during the month of November. Information regarding these strengths will be available on our website.
· Field Trips: Several grade levels will be participating in off-campus field trips. If you are volunteering as a chaperone or plan on attending the field trip you must be registered as an approved volunteer for the ’19-‘20 school year. Volunteer Registration is available in our main office from 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. daily. Please be aware the registration approval time can vary from a few days to a week or more depending on the volume of received registrations.
· Classroom Visits: All visitors into the building, must first sign-in at the front office using an ID that can be scanned. Classroom visits before, during, or after the school day should be arranged in advance by the classroom teacher. During these times, classroom teachers are preparing students for the day, instructing students, and preparing to get all students home the correct way. Please respect this request. If you need to meet with your child’s teacher, please reach out to them to schedule a conference.
If you have any questions, concerns or kudos, please contact me. Thank you for your continued support of Middle Creek Elementary.