Happy Fall! October is here!
Important Dates to Remember:
October 2, 3, and 4 – CogAt testing for Tracks 1, 2, and 3 third grade students
October 2 – Breakfast with Books at the Bookfair 7:30 a.m.- 8:30 a.m.
October 12 – School Garden Workday - 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
October 21 – Teacher Workday - No School for Students
October 22, 23, and 24 – CogAt testing for Track 4 third grade students
October 25 – Spirit Day – Guess Who? (school friendly costume)
October 26 – PTA Fall Carnival 1:00-4:00 p.m.
I hope this month’s newsletter finds you well! September was a very busy month around Middle Creek Elementary! Some of the events included our kindergarten students celebrating with a Letterland Parade, our third-grade students presenting their Overcomer’s projects to families and recognizing our students for demonstrating the character strengths from the Positivity Project during the first quarter.
Thank you to everyone for your support of our PTA sponsored Book Fair! We have a few more days left to purchased great books to add to your home collection! Make plans to attend our Breakfast with Books on Wednesday, October 2 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. This will be our last family event for this year’s book fair. A HUGE shout out to our parent volunteers and Ms. Holland for all their hard work to make this event a success for our school community.
Below are some reminders of upcoming events and school policies:
- READvolution: READvolution is a partnership between the Carolina Hurricane’s and WCPSS. Stay tuned for information regarding the kick off of this great initiative to encourage reading!
- NC CHECK-INS: Our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students will be taking their 1st quarter math benchmark assessments in October. Tracks 1, 2, and 3 will be taking the assessment the week of October 7th and Track 4 will be taking the assessment the week of October 28. Please check with your classroom teacher for the specific day. The data collected from these assessments inform our staff for instructional planning to support your students’ mathematics growth.
- Positivity Project: Students will be learning about the character strengths of creativity, humility, and teamwork during the month of October.
- Field Trips: Several grade levels will be participating in off-campus field trips. If you are volunteering as a chaperone or plan on attending the field trip you must be registered as an approved volunteer for the ’19-‘20 school year. If you received volunteer clearance for the ’18-’19 school year, it will expire on October 31, 2019. Volunteer Registration is available in our main office from 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. daily. Please be aware the registration approval time can vary from a few days to a week or more depending on the volume of received registrations.
- Classroom Visits: All visitors into the building (including modular units), must first sign-in at the front office using an ID that can be scanned. Classroom visits before, during, or after the school day should be arranged in advance by the classroom teacher. During these times, classroom teachers are preparing students for the day, instructing students, and preparing to get all students home the correct way. Please respect this request. If you need to meet with your child’s teacher, please reach out to them to schedule a conference.
If you have any questions, concerns or kudos, please contact me. Thank you for your continued support of Middle Creek Elementary.