The Middle Years Programme: preparing students to be successful in school and to be active lifelong learners
The MYP is for students in grades 6 through 10; therefore all 9th and 10th grade students at Garner Magnet High School are IB Students in the MYP programme.
The MYP provides a framework of learning that encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers. It emphasizes intellectual challenge, encouraging students to make connections between their studies in traditional subjects and the real world. It fosters the development of communication skills, intercultural understanding and global engagement–qualities that are essential for life in the 21st century. The MYP meets and exceeds the requirements of both North Carolina graduation and Common Core State Standards. It builds knowledge, skills and attitudes while preparing students to meet the academic challenges of the IB Diploma Programme.
The IB Middle Years Programme
- addresses students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being.
- enables students to understand and manage the complexities of our world, and provides them with the skills and attitudes they need in order to take responsible action for the future.
- ensures breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding through the study of eight subject areas.
- requires the study of at least two languages to support students’ understanding of their own culture and of others.
- provides the opportunity for students to undertake an independent project in an area of personal interest.
- IB learners (who)
- teaching and learning in the IB (how)
- global contexts for teaching and learning (why) and
- the pursuit of significant knowledge and understanding (what).