East Millbrook Academy of Visual and Performing Arts (AVPA)
Wake County has a new home for the Arts
The East Millbrook Academy of the Visual and Performing Arts
Arts Centered Elective Program
- Students are offered the opportunity to explore the arts in leveled, progressive visual and performing arts electives
- We have approximately 100 electives in our course catalog, many which are arts centered
- Students choose progressive, leveled electives in 2D Visual Art, 3D Visual Art, Theatre, Chorus, Band, Orchestra, Dance, and Piano
- Students have the opportunity to take three electives each semester for a total of six elective choices per year
- Electives are semester or year long.
- To see a list of all the electives we are offering in 2020 - 2021 school year please click here.
What makes our magnet program unique?
Arts Integrated experiences in core and elective classes all around campus
- Standards-based arts integrated education which helps students to more deeply understand concepts in Math, Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies.
- Teachers work in conjunction with our arts integration specialist to create standards based arts integrated lessons where learning in the arts and learning core content are addressed equally and learning evolves in both arenas.
Arts elective opportunities which are exclusive to EM3AVPA click for more details
- Exploring Music through Science and Technology - learn the science of sound, beginning at vibration and sound waves. Learning evolves to students using state of the art technology to create digital music
- Magnet Our World Through the Arts - an exploration of the world around us using the visual and performing arts
- Guild Classes - daily, double period arts classes for students who want a deep dive into an arts discipline
Guest Artists and Artists in Residence click to see more
- Professional artists from organization such as the NC Symphony and Burning Coal Theatre Company, work directly with East Millbrook students in master class settings
- Professional artists such as Leni Newell, Black Box Dance Theatre work as artists in residence at the Academy. Residencies range from five to ten days at a time
- Professional artists perform for our students, sharing their talents with our young artistic community several times over the course of a year
Arts-centered field trips and performances click to see more
Students observe, perform and have their talents evaluated during arts centered field trips and performances
- Attend Orchestral Master class at Appalachain University
- Perform at Band/Choral Competitions at Bush Gardens
- Perform at the Governors Mansion
- Perform at Memorial Auditorium
- Attend a backstage tour of Raleigh Little Theatre
- Attend performances at Carolina Theatre
- Visit Nasher, Auckland, and other local art galleries
- Visit the NC Museum of Art, the NC Museum of Science and the NC Museum of History
- Participate in competitions, festivals, and other arts adjudications
Please contact our Magnet Coordinator with any questions.
(919) 850-8755 ext. 27374
Learn how we embed the arts into all that we do!
- Determine your magnet priority
- Determine your base school
- Determine if you have transportation to East Millbrook. Use the address look up to establish what your application schools are. Then, look beside each school name and you will see either parent provides, express busing or neighborhood busing.