Bugg Magnet Elementary School
Center for Design & Computer Sciences
We live in a digital world. Evolving technologies, virtual connectivity and cyberspace exploration are paving the way to a new learning landscape and promising future for our children.
Early exposure to high-order thinking and engagement in computer science concepts spark learning opportunities that will create a foundational skillset earmarked by perseverance, decision-making, self-motivation, and collaboration.
Thinking, Acting & Applying
Bugg Magnet Elementary School is the first school in the Wake County Public School System (WCPSS) to offer the Center for Design & Computer Sciences program.
Offering in-depth, hands-on instruction that introduces children to the Design Cycle Process and integrates computer science and computational thinking skills, Bugg Magnet Elementary School’s one-of-a-kind program will prepare students to enter middle school well positioned for higher-level math and science, and far ahead of the technological learning curve.
Bugg Magnet Center for Design & Computer Sciences empowers students to:
- Broaden their THINKING by using the Design Thinking
- Put thoughts into ACTION by using Computational Thinking to (link “Computational Thinking” to new Computational Thinking page once created)
- Take ideas and problems apart (Decomposition)
- Identify patterns and similarities to solve problems (Pattern Recognition)
- Focus on the important factors (Abstraction)
- Create solutions using a list of ordered steps (Algorithmic Design)
- Demonstrate their learning through APPLICATION by
- Becoming problem-solving innovators
- Learning computer coding and programming
- Developing apps
- Building and programming robots
- Creating digital music and art, and much more!
The school also grants all children daily access to technology devices with a one-to-one program incorporating iPads, Chromebooks, and laptops.
Learn More About Bugg Magnet
Interested in your child attending Bugg Magnet Center for Design & Computer Sciences? Please contact Magnet Coordinator Bridget Whittington at (919) 250-4750, ext. 26046 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or to schedule a school tour.