Garner Magnet High School (GMHS) is a 4A school located in Garner, North Carolina, in the Wake County Public School System (WCPSS). GMHS has a current (2014–2015) enrollment of nearly 2700 students. There are over 150 members of the teaching faculty, in addition to a variety of staff employed in administration, guidance and other support services. GMHS prides itself on a skilled and accredited faculty, of which 30 members are nationally certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards and 32% possess an advanced degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in their respective fields. GMHS is one of only four WCPSS High Schools to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and one of only two to also offer the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme.
Garner Magnet High School offers a comprehensive selection of courses in languages, literature, social studies, science, mathematics, fine arts, health and physical education and career & technology. In addition we offer Advanced Placement courses, International Baccalaureate programming, Army JROTC and a Public Safety Academy.
International Baccalaureate curriculum
GMHS offers the International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years and Diploma Programme. The MYP, for ninth and tenth grade students, provides a framework of learning that encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers. The Diploma Programme involves a rigorous and balanced two year program of university level coursework culminating in IB examinations. DP students also write a 4,000 word extended essay, complete a course in theory of knowledge and complete a number of creativity, service and action and service (CAS) projects. Students who qualify via IB examinations receive the IB Diploma recognized by universities throughout the world.
GMHS fields competitive teams in a range of sports including baseball, basketball, cheerleading, cross-country, football, golf, gymnastics, indoor track, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, volleyball, and wrestling.
- Baseball, 1979 NCHSSA 4A champions, 23 Conference titles (the baseball championship was won in 1978.. it was included in the 1979 yearbook, as baseball is a spring sport completed after yearbook publication)
- Men's Basketball, 2015 NCHSAA State 4A champions
- Women's Basketball, 1978 NCHSSA 4A champions, 1979 NCHSSA 4A Runner Up, 2006 Eastern Regional semi-finalist
- Cheerleading, 2003 and 2008 NC State Champions
- Football, 1976 AAAA runner up, 1987 4AA North Carolina Football State Champions, 1998 4AA Championship Runner-Up, 2006 4AA East Region Runner-Up, 2011 East Region Champions
- Men's Soccer, Conference champions 2012, 2013
- Men's Tennis, 2006 conference champions
- Softball, 17 Conference Titles
- US News and World Report Bronze Medal Winner, 2012, 2013, 2014
- 2014 NASSP/Metlife Foundation Breakthrough School Award
- Magnet Schools of America School of Distinction, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Scotty McCreery (2012) Winner of the tenth season of American Idol, country music singer
- John Wall Professional basketball player for the Washington Wizards
- Tucker Dupree (2006) American swimmer, winner of 3 medals at the 2012 Paralympic Games, holder of multiple world and American records in swimming.
- David West (1998) Professional basketball player for the Indiana Pacers
- Brandon Banks (2006) Professional football player for the Washington Redskins
- Chris Culliver (2007) University of South Carolina football alumni. Professional football player for the San Francisco 49ers
- Richard Medlin (2007) Fayetteville State University football alumni. Professional football player for the New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins and currently with the Atlanta Falcons
- Pat Watkins (1990) Professional baseball player for Cincinnati Reds, Colorado Rockies; East Carolina University Athletics Hall of Fame inductee
- Donald Williams (1991) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; 1993 NCAA Basketball Tournament Most Outstanding Player
- Kameron Smith (2008) Winston-Salem State University; all-time leading passer
- Eric Williams (1978) North Carolina State University football alumni. Professional football player for the Detroit Lions and Pittsburgh Steelers
Mission & Vision
Wake County Public School System will provide a relevant and engaging education and will graduate students who are collaborative, creative, effective communicators and critical thinkers.
Garner Magnet High School is a global environment where school and community stakeholders strive to inspire and engage all to become responsible, reflective practitioners in the pursuit of life-long learning and productive citizenship.