Fuquay-Varina Elementary School
School Grading Plan 2019-2020
In the Wake County Public School System, we are committed to maintaining rigorous performance and achievement standards for all students and to providing a fair and consistent process for evaluating and reporting student progress that is understandable to students and their parents and relevant for instructional purposes.
The information below shares specific information about grading at our school.
The following are school-wide expectations for homework:
FVES utilizes homework to enrich, remediate and reinforce standards that have already been taught in class.
Fuquay-Varina’s homework policy aligns with the guidelines of WCPSS Board policy 5510. Below are expectations for homework per grade level, with average expected time frames per night.
- Kindergarten: Students will be expected to read nightly with parents and practice sight words as they read for 20 minutes.
- First Grade: Students will be expected to read independently or with a parent for a minimum of 10 minutes per night. In addition, first grade students will spend 10 minutes per night practicing spelling words/rainbow words.
- Second Grade: Students will be expected to read and practice spelling words nightly for 20 minutes.
- Third Grade: Students will be expected to complete 20 minutes of reading homework nightly and a weekly math assignment.
- Fourth Grade: Students will read for 20-30 minutes nightly. Teachers may also ask students to complete reading responses or Math Big 4.
- Fifth Grade: Students will be expected to read for 30 minutes nightly. Teachers may also ask students to complete an additional assignment for 20 minutes.
Requests for assignments for an absent student can be received the day of the student’s absence before noon or the day the student returns to school. The assignments will be available for pick up in the office the following morning if requested when a student is absent. Please remember teachers will not be interrupted while teaching to produce student assignments. For absences of one to three days, the student will have one day for each day absent. For absences exceeding three days, the student may have two days for each day absent to make up the work. Special consideration will be given in the case of an extended absence due to injury or chronic illness.
The following are grade/subject specific expectations for the completion and grading of homework:
- Homework will be reviewed by the teacher to ensure students have an understanding of the material. Grades will not be taken on daily homework; however, completion of homework will be factored when reporting a student’s work habit grade.
- Homework will not be given as punishment or behavior consequence.
The school’s Homework Plan can be found at http://www.fuquayes.wcpss.net
Classwork & Assessments
The following are school-wide expectations for classwork and assessments:
- Connects to grade level standards
- Supports 21st century learning
- Engages student learning
- Relates to all learning types
- Personally developed to meet all students needs
- Drives instruction
- Level 4 opportunities are offered to students in order for students to demonstrate their thinking and learning beyond mastery.
The following are grade/subject specific expectations for the completion and grading of classwork and assessments:
- All class work and assessments are to be completed by the student as assigned by the teacher. If extended time to best meet students’ needs is needed to complete class work or assessments, the teacher will make a decision as to the appropriate accommodation. Timeframes for completion will not be adjusted if the student chooses to not complete them.
- If a student does not complete their work or assessments in the specified time frame the teacher will contact parents, develop a Tier II plan if appropriate, and/or discuss within their PLT solutions to allow every student to be successful at FVES.
- FVES will adhere to WCPSS Board Policy 5520 and 5520 R&P
The following are school-wide expectations for missed work:
- Absences that are approved in advance and/or if the work is assigned by the teacher in advance, all make-up work assigned for the day of return, is due upon the student's return to school.
- Absences of one (1) to three (3) days, the student will have one day for each day absent. For absences exceeding three (3) days, the student may have two (2) days for each day absent to make up work. Special consideration will be given in the case of extended absences due to injury or chronic illness.
The following are grade/subject specific expectations for the completion and grading of missed work:
- It is the student’s responsibility to submit to their classroom teacher all completed assignments in the specified amount of time.
For students at risk of academic failure, our school seeks to provide a prevention/intervention system that promotes successful completion and mastery of work. Details of our plan are below.
The following are school-wide expectations for how we support prevention-intervention efforts:
- Core instruction is protected for the majority of students
- Grade Recovery is offered to all students that provide multiple opportunities for maintain/ reaching proficiency
- Intervention teachers, ESL, AIG, CCR provide support instruction via pull out and utilizing the co-teaching model
- K-5 teachers provide personal differentiation to meet all student needs
- K-5 teachers provide multiple opportunities to re-assess core standards
The following are grade/subject specific expectations for prevention and intervention:
- K-5 teachers create Tier II plans for all students who are not meeting benchmarks on their report cards for two consecutive quarters. Based on data, teachers progress monitor individual needs to ensure the growth of every student.
- K-5 students who show progress continue with their Tier II plan until they reach proficiency.
- K-5 students who do not show progress move to the Multi-Tiered Support System
Extra credit is not offered at Fuquay-Varina Elementary as we use Standards Based Grading.