The State of North Carolina requires that every child in the State between the ages of 7 (or younger if enrolled) and 16 attend school. Parents and legal guardians are responsible for ensuring that students attend and remain at school daily.
The Law: § 115C-378 Every parent, guardian, or custodian in this State having charge or control of a child under the age of 16 years shall cause the child to attend school continuously for a period equal to the time which the public school is in session.
An absence may be excused for any of the following reasons:
- Personal illness or injury that makes the student physically unable to attend school;
- Isolation ordered by the State Board of Health;
- Death in the immediate family; (including, but not necessarily limited to parents, siblings, and grandparents):
- Medical or dental appointment of the student;
- Participation as a party or under subpoena as a witness in a court proceeding;
- Observance of an event required or suggested by the religion of the student or the student’s parent(s); a minimum of two days each academic year;
- Participation in a valid educational opportunity, such as travel, as documented on the "Request for Excused Absence for Educational Reasons".
Absences not meeting these reasons are considered unexcused. Within two (2) days of returning, the student should present a note signed and dated by the parent stating the reason for an absence to the front office or principal designee. If a note is not presented, then the absence(s) will be considered unexcused.
To be counted present a student must be in attendance at least one-half of the student school day.
Remote Learning and Virtual Academy
You can expect students to be engaged in live class sessions and other instructional activities from about 8:00 am until 3:00 pm with breaks built in for non-screen time, independent work, teacher office hours, and lunch. Students will have about 5 hours of instructional activities each day, including about 2.5 hours of live instruction.
Make Up Work
For all absences, the student shall make up all work in a timely manner.
For more information, review Board Policy 4400: Attendance.
Zebulon Middle's school day is from 8:15 am to 3:00 pm. All students should be in class prepared for insturctional learning by 8:15 am.
- A student arriving after 8:15 am will be recorded as tardy (1L or 2L). He/She should sign in at the front office.
- Excused(1L) and Unexcused(2L) tardies follows the same reasons as absences.