Read Across America @ Lockhart
Degrees and Certifications:
Read Across America Week
The National Educator Association’s Read Across America is an annual literacy awareness and reading motivation program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on or around Dr. Seuss’s birthday, March 2nd. At LES, we will be celebrating all week. Join the celebration by reading with your child at home, and visiting one or more of the suggested websites for lots of fun ideas and activities to enjoy.
Events at Lockhart Elementary-
Read-Alouds and Mystery Readers throughout the week!
Contact your child’s teacher if you would like to be a guest reader.
- Seuss Spirit Day – Monday: Wear Red and White or Seuss shirt
- Fox in Sox Day – Tuesday: Roll up your pant legs and show off your wacky sox!
- Grinch Green Day – Wednesday: Wear green or dress like the Grinch...but don't be grumpy!
- Dr. Seuss’ Birthday- Thursday: Wear your favorite hat and take the Dr. Seuss reading pledge!
- Reading Buddy Day- 3rd-5th students will read to K-2nd students!
How to support the reading initiative at home:
- Share a book with your child, or have your child share a book with you!
- Visit the public library and sign up for a library card!
Dr. Seuss Door Contest
Areas to be judged
Unclear tie to the book or theme
Tied to theme
Well executed tie to book or Dr. Seuss quote
Some evidence of originality
An original idea from a Dr. Seuss book or quote.
Original idea from Dr. Seuss book or quote and tied to content area.
Some evidence of student work
Most of the door decorations were created by students.
All work on door is vivid and was created by students.