WCPSS Virtual Academy General Information, K-12
Students have the option of registering for WCPSS Virtual Academy during the designated registration window. Selecting this option means that the student opts-out of returning to in-person instruction, when the district determines that in-person instruction is feasible. Families must commit to at least one semester, with a recommendation of a one-year commitment.
Families who choose WCPSS Virtual Academy should expect the following to be true across all grade levels:
- Students will remain enrolled at their current school as assigned by WCPSS Student Assignment.
- To the degree possible, students will be assigned teachers from their current school.
- Instruction will be provided through a common online learning platform.
- Learning opportunities will include both recorded and live instructional session.
K-12 students & families who participate in the WCPSS Virtual Academy will be permitted to participate in available co-curricular and extra-curricular activities including athletics through their current school. To do so, they must complete a form found at the bottom of this document.
Parents of students not currently enrolled in WCPSS should visit wcpss.net/enroll and complete the enrollment process prior to submitting a registration application for the WCPSS Virtual Academy. Once a student is enrolled in a school, the assigned school will provide families with the option to register in the WCPSS Virtual Academy. Students must have already been issued a WCPSS device or have their own personal device in order to register for the WCPSS Virtual Academy for spring semester.
Daily Structure in the WCPSS Virtual Academy
Students who choose fully online instruction should expect the following to be true across all grade levels:
- Students will experience a daily school schedule that includes the same components of the school day as their grade level peers participating in face-to-face or blended instruction to the degree feasible.
- Students will receive counseling and social emotional support from their current school staff.
- Students will experience an intentional effort on the part of their school’s staff to make meaningful connections and to create a true classroom community.
Instruction in the WCPSS Virtual Academy
Students who choose to engage in fully online instruction should expect the following to be true across all grade levels:
- Students will experience the WCPSS core instructional program online. Instruction will be standards-aligned and focused on ensuring student mastery.
- Students will either be assigned to a teacher within their school or their school’s region. Structures will be in place to communicate needs and progress to a student's current school if they are assigned to a teacher within the region.
- Grading structures will be consistent with in-person and blended instruction environments and Board Policy 3400.
- Supports from Special Education Services will be provided by qualified teachers and related service providers.
- Students will continue to receive updates and services via their assigned school. These services include but are not limited to AIG, ESL, Intervention and 504 services.
- Any specialized services (Special Education, ESL, 504 Plans, Intervention Plans) will be implemented by staff at the student’s current school to provide continuity of service from fall 2020.
- For magnet school students, magnet programming will be implemented to the degree possible in the online environment.
- Teachers will work in collaboration with other school staff members to align instructional practices and expectations.
- It may not be feasible to access all specials/elective programs in a fully online environment. Students who choose the WCPSS Virtual Academy program option may need to have their specials/elective schedule choices adjusted.
- Students and families will have support from a Student Help Desk for technology assistance.
- Students and families will have access to library media services.