The Outdoor Assistant Instructor will be located at Prairie Ridge Ecostation providing hands-on, informal science activates and lesson plans. Successful candidates will have the ability to communicate an enthusiasm for natural science to children.
- Assist Outdoor Instructor in designing, planning, and teaching camp activities, crafts, games, and lesson plans for rising K-8 grade camps in the spring and during camp
- Prepare and present natural science programs each day for camp
- Preferred experience in field ecology, trail programs, local history, and citizen science activities
- Interact professionally with Museum staff, parents, and rising K-8 grade campers
- Work as a team with Museum staff or Outdoor Instructor/intern/volunteer
- Help prepare camp paperwork, maintain camp program supplies including daily clean-up of classrooms and equipment, and follow up with Summer Camps Coordinator
- Meet deadlines, comply with Summer Camps Orientation Manual and any other duties assigned by supervisor
- Assist in camp drop-off and pick-up between 7:45am to 1:15pm/3:45pm. Hours may vary before and after listed drop-off and pick-up times for program setup or parental concerns.
- Previous experience working in an outdoor setting
- CPR, First Aid, Wildness First Aid or advanced lifesaving certification is helpful
- Preferred: experience teaching children with disabilities and those who require extra support or modifications
- Required: attend all Summer Camps Orientation dates Friday, March 19 from 5:30 – 8:30 pm, Saturday, March 20 from 9:00am – 5:30pm, Saturday, April 10 from 9:00am – 5:30pm, and April 24 from 9:00am – 5:30pm – due to COVID-19, these dates may change as we move some of the training virtually
- Required: one additional training date will be planned at Prairie Ridge Ecostation in June
- Required: high school degree/GED, be 18 years of age or have previous work experience
- Required: candidate must be available to teach camps June 28-July 2, July 12-16, July 19-23, and July 26-30.
- Required: apply a range of safety measures to mitigate health risks including mask requirements that follows current state, federal, and health guidelines laid out by the Museum.
This position starts at $9.50 per hour. All positions are temporary positions with an average of 36-40 hours per week with overtime pay.
Complete application by 5:00pm, Friday, March 12, 2021.