Kudos-Thank you to Mr. Johnson and all the students on the AFMS Student Council for a fantastic first dance. A Special Shout Out to Mrs. Burkhardt and Mrs. Webb for their decoration and organization in preparing for the dance. We had over 500 students, in various costumes, attend our inaugural dance. Both staff and students had an amazing time.
A Big Shout Out to our parent volunteers, Mrs. Buff, Mrs. Webb, Mrs. Lantry, Mrs. Yates, Mrs. Moore, Mrs. Kaplan, and Mrs. Krawczyk, who helped sell tickets through the week and at the door the night of the dance, as well as helped with carpool pickup after the dance in the rain.
Area of Improvement-Parent pick-up after a school dance. As we engage in many “firsts” this school year, we often don’t know what we don’t know. We typically deal with 100 plus cars in carpool daily. Last Friday, we had over 500 students attend our dance (Yay). However each student attending needed a ride home and of course it was raining. We are sorry that kids had to stand in the rain to identify their cars. We recognize that a new plan is needed to improve this process and we will have one in place for the winter dance in February.
Last few days for SOCKTOBER!
- AFMS's C.E.S. (Chargers Engaged in Service) is engaged in our first service project, Socktober. We are collecting NEW socks and will donate them to Note in the Pocket and homeless shelters in North Carolina.
- We are just shy of reaching our goal of 5,000 socks. Please continue to donate.
- When you donate, feel free to use the hashtag #Socktober
Save the Dates:
- End of First Quarter-This Tuesday, Oct. 30 will be the last day of the first quarter.
- PBIS Incentive Day-Nov. 2-Students with five or less teacher signatures on their planner cards will engage in a "Fun-Friday" event.
- Author Visit-The author Scott Reingten is coming to speak with all of our students on Wednesday, November 7.
Veteran’s Day Honor Ceremony will be held on Friday, November 9th, with the formal beginning starting at approximately 8:00 AM, in the courtyard. Students that do not wish to attend will be able to view a livestream in the collaborative space of their hallway with a grade level teacher.
Final Make-Up Day- from Hurricane Florence:
- Oct. 31 (Teacher Workday to full day of school
Become a Guest Speaker at AFMS-Here is the link to an important survey on our school's website if you are interested in being a Guest Speaker about your career, becoming a mentor for students, or joining our school's Business Alliance. Ms. Guinn, our Career Development Coordinator.
In Sports News:
A Big THANK YOU to everyone who came out to support our student athletes.
Upcoming Sporting events: Please come out and support our student athletes.
Tuesday, Oct. 30-AFMS Soccer and Volleyball teams will play Holly Ridge MS @ Holly Ridge Middle School.
Thursday, Nov. 1-AFMS Football team will play Holly Ridge MS @ Holl Ridge Middle.