Kudos-Thanks to all who attended our Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on Friday, Sept. 28. It was a great event which showcased our school. Special thanks to Matt Wight, Principal of AFHS, for his participation. We also want to thank Dr. Duvall and our 8th grade band students for playing wonderful musical selections at our Ribbon Cutting Ceremony. Additionally, we are SUPER PROUD of our student speakers, Corbin McDaniel, Anna Smith, and Cayden Ludlow, who did a fantastic job delivering their speeches and representing our school.
A Big THANK YOU to our parent volunteers who helped make our first picture day a success!
- Many students are leaving items at home or in the car. Parents are welcome to bring those items to school; however, students will only be called out of class for lunch, lunch money, or house keys. All other items will be left in the main office and students will need to pick them up with teacher permission or during a class change.
- Personal Locks are needed for students to use during their gym rotation to ensure the safety of their personal items.
- Please do not request to change your child's transportation after 2:30. We can't guarantee the message will get to your child.
- As of Sept. 17, we are asking parents to refrain from checking your child out of school after 2:30. This is an extremely busy time for us in the main office, as we prepare for student dismissal.
IT'S ALMOST SOCKTOBER!
- As the month of October approaches, AFMS's C.E.S. (Chargers Engaged in Service) would like to introduce our first service project, Socktober. We will be collecting NEW socks and will donate them to Note in the Pocket and homeless shelters in North Carolina.
- Who: This will be a homeroom competition. The homeroom from each grade level with the highest number of collected socks will win a prize! The Homeroom with the highest overall number of collected socks will win a celebration!
- What: SOCKS! Each pair of new socks = 1 point for your homeroom. Additionally, each student and teacher in the homeroom class who wears "wacky/tacky or mismatched socks" on Fridays will earn one point for the class
- When: During the month of October, "socktober"
- Where: Each homeroom class will be given a collection box and will have those boxes emptied weekly. Please turn in socks to your homeroom teacher!
- When you donate, feel free to use the hashtag #Socktober
Interims- will go home on Monday, Oct. 1.
Late Work-All late work for all teachers is due on Friday, Oct. 8, 2018
*Updated Information/Date Change-Curriculum Night has been moved to Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018. Please visit our school website and twitter.
Sign Up for Free/Reduced-price Meals
This is a message from Wake County Public School System Child Nutrition for families about school meals.
If your student is eating school meals this year after receiving meals benefits last year, the 2017-18 benefits will expire Tuesday, October 9.
Please be sure to apply now for 2018-19 benefits. The process is even easier now with online applications for free and reduced price school meals. Go to www.wcpss.net/meals to determine if your student qualifies and then complete the online application. Paper copies of the application are also available at the school.
Make-Up Days- from Hurricane Florence:
· Oct. 19 (Early Release day to full day of school)
· Oct. 31 (Teacher Workday to full day of school
Become a Guest Speaker at AFMS-Here is the link to an important survey on our school's website if you are interested in being a Guest Speaker about your career, becoming a mentor for students, or joining our school's Business Alliance. Ms. Guinn, our Career Development Coordinator.
In Sports News:
A Big THANK YOU to the AFMS Cheerleading team for doing a fantastic job greeting our guests at the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony.
Upcoming Sporting events: Please come out and support our student athletes.
Wednesday, Oct. 3-AFMS Soccer and Volleyball teams will play @ home against Holly Grove Middle.
Thursday, Oct. 4-AFMS Football team will play @ home against Holly Grove Middle.