On November 21, 2017, Dr. James Merrill announced his retirement as superintendent of Wake County Public School System, effective Feb. 1, 2018.
The Wake County Board of Education voted on December 5 to hire the North Carolina School Boards Association (NCSBA) to help facilitate the search for our next superintendent. To that end, the board is seeking direct input from interested members of the staff and community to help shape the search process and assist in defining the qualities and characteristics of the next WCPSS superintendent. The following avenues for input are available to the community and staff:
- Community Survey. The board invites parents and community members to participate in a short community survey that can be accessed and completed online. Spanish language versions are also available. All surveys must be completed by Wednesday, January 17, 2018 with results to be compiled, summarized, and presented by NCSBA at the regular board meeting on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.
- Staff Survey. In addition, all employees of WCPSS will have an opportunity to complete a separate online staff survey. Details about completing the employee version of the search survey will be communicated via school system email.
- Public Comment. Citizens may also sign up to address the board during the public comment period at any of the upcoming regular board meetings, scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on December 19, January 2, and January 23. All meetings will be held in the main board room at the WCPSS Crossroads office, located at 5625 Dillard Drive, Cary, NC. Citizens must sign up to speak before the meeting begins and must otherwise comply with board policy/guidelines.
- Statements from Groups or Organizations. Groups or organizations that would like to submit statements regarding the leadership qualities that they consider important in the next superintendent may submit such statements to Allison Schafer via mail at NCSBA, P.O. Box 97877, Raleigh, NC 27624, via email at email@example.com, or via fax at 919-841-4020. These statements should be received no later than Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
- Dec. 8 – Jan. 17, 2018 - Community and staff input period
- Jan. 23, 2018 - Board reviews input
- Jan. 30, 2018 - Application Deadline
- Feb. 9 - 20, 2018 - Board reviews applications
- Feb. 20, 2018 - Closed meeting to select interviewees
- March 9-16, 2018 - Closed meetings for interviews
- March 29 – April 3, 2018 - Closed meetings for final interviews
- April 10, 2018 - Announcement of superintendent