The Wake County Board of Education voted on December 5 to hire the North Carolina School Boards Association (NCSBA) to help facilitate the search for our next superintendent. To that end, the board sought direct input from interested members of the staff and community to help shape the search process and assist in defining the qualities and characteristics of the next WCPSS superintendent. The following input was provided by community and staff:
- Community Survey. The board invited parents and community members to participate in a short community survey provided in English and Spanish. The survey period ended January 17, 2018. A summary and detailed written comments in English and Spanish were presented by NCSBA at the regular board meeting on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.
- Staff Survey. In addition, all employees of WCPSS had an opportunity to complete a separate online staff survey. NCSBA also presented those results to board members on January 23, 2018.
- Statements from Groups or Organizations. Two statements from community organizations (NAACP and Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce) regarding the leadership qualities they consider important in the next superintendent were also submitted by the deadline of January 17, 2018.
- Public Comment. Citizens may continue address the board during the public comment period at any of the upcoming regular board meetings. These meetings generally begin at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month and are advertised in advance on the district's home page. All meetings will be held in the main board room at the WCPSS Crossroads office, located at 5625 Dillard Drive, Cary, NC. Citizens must sign up to speak before the meeting begins and must otherwise comply with board policy/guidelines..
- Dec. 8 – Jan. 17, 2018 - Community and staff input period
- Jan. 23, 2018 - Board reviews input
- Jan. 30, 2018 - Application Deadline
- Feb. 9 - 20, 2018 - Board reviews applications
- Feb. 20, 2018 - Closed meeting to select interviewees
- March 9-16, 2018 - Closed meetings for interviews
- March 26 – March 30, 2018 - Closed meetings for interviews