2018-19 Enrollment Proposal
UPDATE 11/21: The address look-up tool has been updated to reflect the proposal the board will discuss this evening. The main staff recommendations include:
- Not move foward with proposal to align elementary-middle calendars, except for the propsal to move some students from Holly Grove Middle base to Lufkin Road Middle base. This area had been proposed to attend Apex Middle.
- Approve Draft 3 proposed move of Parker Pointe Subdivision from Lincoln Heights Elementary base to Herbert Akins Elementary base.
- Approve Draft 3 proposal to add Holly Springs Elementary as a year-round application school for those Buckhorn Creek Elementary families who are currently attending Holly Grove Elementary.
What is the timeline?The board will discuss the proposal at a work session on Tuesday, Nov. 21. They will also hold a public hearing about the proposal on Nov. 21 at 6 p.m. in the Board Room at 5625 Dillard Drive, Cary. The public hearing is part of the regular board meeting that starts at 5:30 p.m.The Board of Education may decide to schedule a special work session on Nov. 28 to continue discussing potential changes to the proposal. They will vote on the final student enrollment plan on Dec. 5.
How can I share feedback?You can share your feedback on our online parent forum. There are comment threads related to each of the new schools and other proposed assignment changes. Please provide feedback in the appropriate section.WCPSS staff and school board members will be monitoring this feedback and considering ways it might be included in the proposal.
How can I stay informed?We will post regular updates on this page. All board work sessions stream live and then are archived on the WCPSS YouTube channel.
Why are we discussing this?The main drivers of this proposal are the opening of four new schools in the 2018-19 school year:
We are committed to smart growth and planning strategies that promote healthy schools and address school crowding. We currently have more than 160,000 students, and are projected to add nearly 23,000 additional students by the 2024-25 school year.Watch the video to learn more about how we use smart planning and creativity to manage growth.We are opening new schools every year to plan for this growth. New schools are populated with students from existing schools. This is what causes the majority of changes to student assignments. In some cases, a proposed change in assignment is caused by the opening of a new school, but the student is assigned to another existing school in the area.We also are proposing a number of other changes related to balancing student populations, calendar application schools and a state-mandated reduction in K-3 class sizes.Our school board and district staff makes these decisions by weighing four factors: Student Achievement, Stability, Proximity and Operational Efficiency.Watch the video to learn more about the Four Pillars.
- South Garner High School, 8228 Hebron Church Road, Garner (Opening for 9th and 10th graders)
- Apex Friendship Middle School, 7701 Humie Olive Road, Apex
- Bryan Road Elementary School, 8317 Bryan Road, Garner
- Buckhorn Creek Elementary School, 5651 Honeycutt Road, Holly Springs