2017-18 Beta Club Information
Application Deadline for Potential Members - Noon, Tuesday, 9/19
General Meeting Dates
- October 11 (New members may attend this meeting, but meetings aren't required until after induction.)
- November 8
- December 13
- January 10
- February 14
- March 14
- April 11
- May 9 - officer installation
Dates and Times are Subject to Small Changes -- Check this page monthly for updates, or tune in to the morning announcements!
Service Project Info and other Important Dates from 2017-18
A note about service projects
Participation in at least two Beta-sponsored service projects or activities are required for membership the following year (7th grade), or for letters of recommendation (8th grade.) On the service project log, feel free to list other service hours given to NON-PROFIT organizations.
- September 19, Noon -- Application Deadline for potential members
- September 22, First Period -- Invitations distributed to applicants who meet all membership requirements and have good teacher recommendations.
- $5 Dues for Returning Members - Collections between September 14 and October 12 . See Mrs. Walters before or after school, or following our meetings. Bring cash or check written to WMMS in an envelope with student's name.)
- October 6 / 5 until dark. Fall Frenzy Volunteers. Sign-up at meeting prior to Fall Frenzy. (Will likely need five-ten members to help with the face painting booth.)
- October 5, 8:10 p.m. / Deadline for New Member Dues ($20) and Induction Forms.
- October 26 / New Member Induction, Multipurpose Room. New inductees should be in Room 504 by 6:40. Parents and guests should be situated in the multipurpose room no later than 7 p.m. All officers must attend. Will also need 4 ushers and 2 reception hosts. Sign-up at October meeting. Officers and ushers are required to stay after school for set-up and practice on induction day. (Dress for success) Reception hosts should be able to meet Mrs. Walters in the Media Center at 6:15 to go over reception responsibilities.
- November 17 / 3:20 - 4:30 Welcome to the Club Pizza Party and Shoebox Project - This project focuses on children of the world who are less fortunate. At this event, we celebrate new members over pizza and fun and then will give thanks for all that we have been given by focusing on the needs of children in the world. Admission to the pizza party will be a pre-wrapped shoebox (top and bottom wrapped separately) or Dollar Tree plastic shoebox, (no large shoe boxes please) and plenty of gifts to place in it. Due to the size of this project, we need 6 parent helpers. Please contact Mrs. Walters if willing and able. All students should be picked up by 4:45 that day. Downloadable/Printable List of Things that will make a girl or boy on the other side of the world, happy! Word Doc PDF Doc
- December 13 - Ronald McDonald Can Tab project kick-off. Committee Sign-up at December meeting.
- December __ - Potentially Caroling with the Jr. PBIS or Builder's Club.
- January 25/ Valentines for Troops - 3:20 - 4:20 Participants should bring craft supplies -- paper, markers, colored pencils, scissors and other things to make Valentine thank-you cards. We will also send goodies, such as hard candy, chewing gum, breath mints, slim jims, beef jerky, and snack sized M&Ms along with individually wrapped wipes, CDs, DVDs, and recent sports, car, and hobby magazines. Please bring any items that you are willing to contribute toward these Valentine Care Packages. At the end of the meeting, we will box the items to send to deployed service men and women with West Millbrook connections. These men, will, in turn, distribute items from our package to men and women in their unit. (There is no limit on number of students for this project, however, we will have a sign-up at the January meeting for planning purposes.) Students who are unable to attend the afterschool work session, but who wish to participate, may prepare cards and letters at home and bring them no later than January 25. Parents may verify that students worked at least an hour on the project and document it on the service project log.
- February 9 / Career Day Ambassador Meeting -Media Center, 7:40 a.m.. 10 students will be needed for this activity in addition to our officers. Sign-up at the February meeting. (Note that this ambassador meeting is a mandatory training meeting on the morning before Career Day.)
- February 9 / Career Day set-up help 3:00 - 4:30 - need 6 students to help assemble speaker bags and move tables, etc. in preparation for Career Day. (Sign-up at February meeting.)
- February 10 / Career Day – Ambassadors should arrive in the Media Center no later than 8:15 a.m. and will meet, greet, and escort their career speaker to their assigned classroom at 8:25. "Dress for Success" is required. Dress for success is defined as a dress or skirt/dressy slacks with nice top or blouse for girls, and dress slacks or khakis with dress shirt and tie for guys. All students should wear appropriate shoes - no casual flip flops or sneakers, please.
March 28 / Blankets for NICU Babies -- 3:15 - 4:50 Supplies to bring:
- One or two yards of baby-appropriate blanket fleece that will not ravel. (If you bring one yard, the reverse side will be made of the same fabric. With two yards, you can make two blankets with different reverse sides.)
- VERY IMPORTANT!!! Scissors sharp enough to cut the fleece. You will be doing a LOT of cutting and dull scissors will only frustrate you.
- Purchase the fleece anywhere you wish. If you choose Joann's, you should be able to find a coupon on their website.
- Students who would like to participate, but are involved in afterschool sports or other activities can make a blanket at home. Click this website for a great tutorial.
- April 4 (Tuesday) - Officer applications due to Mrs. Walters no later than 8:10 a.m.)
- April 18 - 6th Grade Ambassador Meeting - Mandatory meeting at 7:30 - no exceptions. Don't be late -- we need the entire time for training.
- April 19 - Rising 6th Grade Tours -- 9:35 - 10:20 50-60 ambassadors needed. (Sign-up at the April meeting)
- April 19 - Tour for Parents of Rising 6th graders - 5:45 - 6:15 p.m. 10 ambassadors needed. (Sign-up at the April meeting)
- May 9 - 7:45 a.m., Media Center. Agenda: Installation of New Officers. Submit Service Project Logs for the year. At least two activities of 1 hour or more are required for a 7th grader to be eligible for Beta Club in the 8th grade year, or for 8th graders to receive recommendations for high school Beta Club or Honor Society. On the service project log, feel free to list other service hours given to NON-PROFIT organizations. (Note that entry to High School Honor Societies are by invitation only, typically in the Sophomore year or later.)
- May 9 - Letters to Teachers - 3:20-4:30 p.m. No limit on number of students who will meet in the Media Center to write thank you notes to teachers, and will place the notes in their mailboxes. If students need service project hours and are unable to attend this organized activity, parents can supervise a similar activity at home and sign-off on the service project log verifying the work.
- May 10 - Teacher Appreciation Breakfast – Food should be delivered to the Teacher's Lounge no later than 7:15, or may be delivered to Mrs. Walters in the library the day before.
Previous Dates (Use this information to assist with details for your service project log):
- August 23 - Catapult Camp Counselors. We need as many Beta Helpers as are available on a weekday morning during the week before the start of the 2017-18 school year. Mrs. Walters will send a sign-up to parent e-mails approximately 1 week before Catapult Camp.
- September 8, 2017, 7:45 a.m., Media Center. Interest Meeting for potential members. Attendance at this meeting is not required but is highly recommended so that students can understand expectations and requirements of membership. There is no need for parents to attend the meeting. Instead, parents should contact Diane Walters (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions before or after the interest meeting.
- September 13 / 7:45 a.m. First general meeting of the school year. Returning member only. $5 dues should be paid between today and the October general meeting day. Sign-up to help with Fall Frenzy Face Painting.