Be part of the Oakview PTA 2017-2018 Reflections Program!
What is Reflections? - A recognition program showing artistic creativity in the classroom & home. Open to all grades & abilities.
This year’s theme is WITHIN REACH! Show your talents in Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Literature, and Visual Arts with this year’s theme WITHIN REACH. You can pick up entry forms in the office or on our website. Entries are due FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27th!
What do I need to do?
- Choose a category (you may submit more than 1 piece in a category or multiple pieces in different categories – you cannot submit 1 piece in more than 1 category)
- Read the rules for your category (they are listed on the website)
- Think about the theme WITHIN REACH. How does your work relate to the theme? Include in your artist statement how your work involves the theme WITHIN REACH.
These are the areas the judges are looking at when looking at your work:
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the artwork itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity:How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique:The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
- Write your artist statement. In your artist statement, tell us about your work and what it means to you.
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g. supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)?
- What/Who was your inspiration?
- Complete your Entry
- Re-read the rules for your category (some have specifics about how to label your files, size, etc.)
- Make sure you print clearly on the entry form
- Include your homeroom/Teacher at the Top
- Make sure you sign it and your parent signs it
- Include a title
- Complete your artist statement (you can use a separate piece of paper and no less than 10 words and no more than 100 words)
- Complete Page 2 with the information for the category you are entering
- Mount 2d work but do not frame it
- Read all the tips and tricks to be sure you are submitting your entry correctly
Tips and Tricks
- Art work must not have your name on the front of work or the image (or video). Please put your name on the back of the work or in an envelope if it is a digial file.
- Student must produce work on their own – Parent or Guardian cannot edit, hold the camera, etc. Parent or Guardian may help mount work and/or help fill out entry form
- ONLY 1 STUDENT per piece – you cannot collaborate! If you are submitting a video, dance choreography, music composition, or photo other people can be the subject (be in the picture, be in the video or dance, sing the song) but they cannot contribute to the production.
- THEME IS IMPORTANT – you can have the most beautiful piece but if it doesn’t incorporate the theme, it will not go far in the judging
- Artist Statement – This is where you explain how your artwork relates to the theme. Make sure it is at least 10 words and not more than 100.
- Work must be original – this mean you cannot use a character or something from a TV show or movie. Example – You draw a picture of you with Batman – this will be disqualified.
- You can submit more than one piece in the same category or another piece in a different categories. Example – you have two pictures you have drawn about you using the theme WITHIN REACH. You may submit both pieces with two different entry forms.