The A+ Essentials – at Douglas
Arts - Valuing arts integration, arts education and arts exposure as essential to creativity and learning
- In-house cultural arts experiences
- Arts Integration coach on staff
- A+ staff training – 38 staff members went to Asheville this summer to attend this professional development.
Curriculum - Planning intentional integration of disciplines to promote enthusiasm for learning
- Additional planning time for teachers
- Collaboration planning days between teachers and MI specialists to schedule full collaboration days for curriculum & arts integration experiences across the MI classes for all students.
Enriched Assessment - Developing experiential, collaborative and reflective measures of mastery, beyond testing
- Weekly PLT meetings for teachers to analyze data for their students to determine best steps.
Multiple Learning Pathways - Providing many different learning opportunities to support development of the whole child
- MI specials – all students experience all of the specials (art, music, dance, drama, PE and science)
- AIG classes meet twice a week per subject area for 4th – 5th grades
- Enrichment classes with the AIG specialists for 3rd grade students demonstrating mastery based on pre-assessments.
- K-2 AIG Kits program – via parent volunteers
- 3 Collaboration Spaces on campus for art integration activities: Collaboration Station, Think Tank and Creative Cave
Experiential Learning - Creating hands-on, real world application of learning standards to support engagement, innovation and critical thinking
- Collaboration with AIG specialist
- Collaboration with Instructional Coaches
- Collaboration with the Arts Integration Coach
- Collaboration spaces for staff and students
- Artists in Residence
- In house science field trips for all grade levels
- TEK clubs are held after school for 6 week intervals - fall, winter and spring
- Club Day once a month for all students during the instructional day. Focus is on allowing students to spend time learning about something they are interested in: chess, yoga, robotics, etc.
Collaboration - Strengthening partnerships across the school community while promoting shared leadership and intentional connections
The PTA supports the school with:
- ARTS night (Artopia guests) – staff created Art experiences for parents and students.
- Reflections – we had 48 students participate last year with a total of 57 entries!
- Scripps National Spelling Bee
- K-2 Pumpkin Storybook Character Contest with b.good at North Hills.
- Student artwork has been in North HillsLooking Ahead….
- Literacy Night – students come in their PJs and enjoy read aloud time with their parents while sipping hot chocolate and eating cookies.
- Science Night - guests from NC State, Barre, SMILE organization and more to bring science to life for our students.
Infrastructure - Organizing school priorities and schedule to support transformative learning and shared vision
- Increased intentional planning time has been scheduled for classroom teachers before school to support arts integration and rigorous academic instruction which meets all student instructional needs.
- Weekly PLT meetings with administration and grade levels.
Climate - Building a creative, supportive environment where teachers and students are excited about learning together
- PBIS – ROAR pledge, Students earn Dragon Dollars, PBIS assemblies to recognize good citizenship, Golden Lunch Tray award and the Golden Dust Pan Award
- Live morning news show (WDES) performed by students every day.
- Ice breakers kickoff staff meetings to encourage a motivating environment.
- Daily morning meetings for students with their classroom teachers to discuss classroom and school climate needs Dragon Post-Its
- Art outings for staff
- PTA family nights