- Complete the employment application. Applications are reviewed, confidential reference checks are performed, and a criminal background check is conducted on qualified applicants.
- If approved for employment as a substitute teacher, the applicant is invited by email to attend New Substitute Teacher Orientation. Attached to the email invitation will be the following forms: N. C. health certificate, I-9 Form, payroll direct deposit and tax forms. Forms should be completed and turned in at orientation.
- Upon completion of orientation, submission of required forms, the new substitute teacher will be entered into the absence management system. The new substitute teacher will register as a new user, receive their PIN, and begin substitute teaching.
- Employment Application (In the "Position Desired" section of the application place a checkmark by Substitute Teacher.)
- Provide a minimum of one supervisory reference on your application. References from friends, neighbors, and family members are not acceptable.
- Minimum Requirements: Effective September 1, 2016, all new noncertified substitute teachers will be required to upload to their application documentation showing completion of Substitute Effective Teacher Training (SETT) or Effective Teacher Training (ETT). This course is typically offered at local community colleges.
-OR- Complete the online course "Substitute Effective Teacher Training" via the App-Garden University. This course is available for applicants to purchase for $29.00. Upon completion the substitute applicant should upload their certificate of completion to their online application. WCPSS will accept certificates of completion from other NC school systems if the applicant previously completed this course via App-Garden. For more information or to take this course please click on the course title below. For technical support related to the App-Garden course please contact the App-Garden technical support team at 1-800-425-0720 or by clicking on "Need Help" on the App-Garden online course page.
- In lieu of the SETT/ETT or online courses above, student teachers may upload an unofficial transcript that includes the college/university name, successful completion of student teaching, and a reference from the cooperating teacher. They may also submit a letter of completion or Form V from the school of education stating that they have completed all requirements and are eligible for/will be recommended for a teaching license upon graduation to NCDPI.
- Applicants may upload a copy of their teaching license from any state whether current or expired in order to be eligible for certified substitute teacher pay.
* To apply for substitute teaching after submitting an online application via AppliTrack, login to your application and go to the section for "Position Desired". Place a checkmark in the box for substitute teacher, then click on Finish and Submit to resubmit your application.
Application Process for Former Employees
All substitute teacher applicants must meet current eligibility requirements to be approved as a substitute teacher.
If you have been separated from employment with WCPSS for more than 1 year it is required that you follow the application process as notated above for new substitute teachers.If you have been separated from employment with WCPSS for less than 1 year, please complete the reactivation form below. Complete the Substitute Reactivation Form