Good attendance is essential for student achievement and success. State law requires school attendance for all children between the ages of seven (7) and sixteen (16). Parents must ensure that students attend and remain in school daily.
Wake County Public Schools Attendance policy states to be counted present a student must be in attendance at least one-half of the student school day. This shall include attendance at official school activities at a place other than school with the approval of the principal. A student shall be in his/her assigned area at the beginning of the school day and the beginning of each class or be recorded as tardy. At the secondary level cumulative absences above ten (10) in a block course (twenty (20) in a full-year course) are excessive. After five (5) days of accumulated absences in one or more block courses, (ten (10) in a full-year course) there will be school-determined, expectations-based intervention to help the student improve his or her attendance. The intervention will involve parents. After ten (10) days of accumulated absences in a block course (twenty (20) in a full-year course) and failure to meet previously-determined expectations, the student will be subject to failure, retention, or summer school.
2016-17 East Wake High School Attendance Makeup Procedures
Students that exceed 10 UNEXCUSED absences are subject to loss of credit due to excessive absences.
- Students may begin to make up absences once they have accumulated five unexcused absences in a given class.
- Students are expected to makeup all missed class work within three days of the absence (except in the case of multiple consecutive absences).
- Students may only make up missed unexcused absences by arranging to stay after school with a teacher. (Monday-Thursday)
- Students that would like to make up time for missed absences will makeup one 90 minute period for each 45 minutes that they stay after school with a teacher.
- In order to make up an absence, the student must follow the procedure outlined below:
- Student will contact teacher for class unexcused absence(s) to be made up at least one day prior to staying after school. Student will not be eligible to make up an absence without this first step being completed. Student must communicate to this teacher who they will be staying after school with.
- Teacher will gather any missed assignments that student will need to complete while staying after school.
- Teacher will provide missed assignments (if any) and after school makeup time form (available on the EWHS Faculty Canvas Course or in main office) to student before the student stays after school. Student must keep work and Attendance Recovery Form and bring with them to their after school session.
- When student arrives to teacher’s room to make up time for an unexcused absence, student will present their Attendance Recovery Form to the supervising teacher. Student will work on assigned work. Student will turn in completed work to classroom teacher the following day.
- After school teacher will complete and sign Attendance Recovery Form in order to verify attendance and return to EWHS Attendance Clerk (Kendrick) by the end of the following instructional day.
- Student who does not have any missed assignments/missing work will receive EWHS After School Makeup Time Form from teacher and turn in form to after school teacher upon arrival to after school room. After school teacher will record start/stop time on form and submit to Attendance Clerk (Kendrick) by the end of the following instructional day.
- Attendance Clerk (Kendrick) will be responsible for converting made up time into absence recovery in PowerSchool. All made up absences will be coded as 1I in PowerSchool.