2019-20 Enrollment Proposal
UPDATE DEC. 3: The grandfathering request period for eligible students opens today through Dec. 14. All requests from eligible students will be approved. Learn more and submit your request.
UPDATE NOV. 26:
- The request period for those famiies who are eligible to grandfather will be Dec. 3-14. We will be notifying all eligible families by phone, email and text. All requests made before the deadline by those who are eligible to grandfather will be automatically approved.
- Track assignments for Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle will not be made until April. Procedures for indicating track preference likely will be sent to parents before Winter Break. Principals make track assignments. They do their best to keep current tracks for those who want them while ensuring all tracks are balanced. They must wait until after the transfer application period in March to see how many students will be enrolled at their school before making track assignments.
UPDATE NOV. 20: The Board of Education approved the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Plan. There were no substantial changes affecting current students from the previous board meeting, which can be found below. Find your base school assignment and your application school options for the 2019-20 school year. Information about the grandfathering application period will be sent to those who are eligible by phone and email next week. The Board did approve assignment changes to some undeveloped areas of the county. Please note the address look-up tool has not yet been updated to include changes to school assignments for some undeveloped areas.
UPDATE NOV. 8: Board members indicated support for a number of changes during discussions yesterday. Here is a summary. Please note that the address look-up does not yet reflect these changes.
- Students who live in the Parkside Elementary base attendance area and who currently attend Hortons Creek Elementary, Green Hope Elementary or Weatherstone Elementary would be eligible to grandfather and stay at their current school through the exit grade as transfer students.
- Students assigned to Parkside Elementary would be able to apply to attend Pleasant Grove Elementary as a traditional calendar application student. They would be eligible for neighborhood bus transportation.
- Students assigned to Parkside Elementary can apply to attend Powell Elementary, Ligon Middle as one of their magnet school options. They would be eligible for express bus transportation.
- The MacArthur Park area would remain at Green Hope High School.
- Rising 7th and 8th graders reassigned from an existing school to an existing school (i.e. Reedy Creek Middle to East Cary Middle) would be eligible to grandfather and stay through the exit grade, as would any rising 6th grade siblings.
- Rising 8th graders assigned to Alston Ridge Middle would be eligible to grandfather. Their 7th grade siblings could also grandfather AND stay through the exit grade. Their sixth grade siblings would still only be allowed to stay for one year.
- Students affected by calendar application school changes would be eligible to grandfather and stay at their current school through the exit grade.
Swift Creek Elementary and Yates Mill Elementary base families will now have one year-round application school for their address (Adams Elem. or Oak Grove Elem.) The choice will depend on where they live.
- Dillard Drive Middle base families will be able to apply to Lufkin Road Middle or North Garner Middle (depending on their address).
- West Cary Middle base families will be able to apply to Salem Middle or Alston Ridge Middle (depending on their address).
- Staff is bringing a separate presentation to the Nov. 20th work session to provide information to the Board regarding the southern area of the Mills Park Middle base area and the possible use of satellite assignment areas.
UPDATE OCT. 30: Board members discussed the third draft of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal.
Here are the main staff proposals in Draft 3:
- Remove Draft 2 recommendation to assign some Poe Elementary students to Southeast Raleigh Elementary.
- Remove recommendation to assign some students at Highcroft Drive Elementary and Weatherstone Elementary to Green Hope Elementary.
- Remove recommendation to move some Davis Drive Middle students to East Cary Middle.
- Remove recommendation to move some students in Kingswood Elementary base to West Cary Middle. They would remain at Reedy Creek Middle.
- Remove recommendation to assign some Martin Middle students to Reedy Creek Middle.
- A portion of the Reedy Creek Middle base proposed to attend West Cary Middle will now be proposed to attend East Cary Middle.
- The grandfathering rules for middle school students are proposed to change. Under Draft 3, 7th and 8th graders assigned to an existing school, i.e. not the new Alston Ridge Middle, would be eligible to grandfather.
- Remove recommendation to assign portion of Sanderson High base attendance area to Southeast Raleigh Magnet High.
- Staff continues to recommend that Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle open as multi-track year-round schools. This is to provide additional student capacity in a heavily populated area.
- Students assigned to Parkside Elementary would have the opportunity to apply to Powell Magnet Elementary or Pleasant Grove Elementary. Powell students would be eligible for neighborhood transportation. Pleasant Grove students would be eligible for express transportation.
Why is this plan necessary?The main drivers of this plan are the opening of four new schools in the 2019-20 school year:
- Green Level High School, 7612 Roberts Road, Cary (Proposed to open for 9th and 10th graders)
- Alston Ridge Middle School, 120 Winding Pine Trail, Cary
- Parkside Elementary School, 100 Little Drive, Morrisville
- Southeast Raleigh Elementary School, 1436 Rock Quarry Road, Raleigh
How do I know if I am affected?Type in your address in this look-up tool. It will show your proposed base school for the 2019-20 school year, as well as your designated application schools.