Single Subject Acceleration For Spring 2022:
The Wake County Public School System (WCPSS) Board of Education defines acceleration as allowing a student to move through traditional educational organizations more rapidly, based on readiness and motivation. Single Subject Acceleration (SSA) is the practice of placing a student in a higher-grade level in one subject area. This type of acceleration is for the purpose of providing access to appropriately challenging learning opportunities in either math or English Language Arts. To learn more about SSA, please visit Mrs. Walters' Website.
Is your child a good candidate for SSA?
- Consider your child’s social and emotional maturity.
- Your child may be taking classes with peers who may be older.
- Consider your child’s organizational skills and ability to focus.
- Can your child begin or complete projects by themselves?
- Your child will be skipping an entire year’s worth of content and background knowledge.
- The AIG teacher and homeroom teachers are not responsible for covering any content your child skipped as a result of receiving SSA services.
- If your child qualifies for SSA in math or ELA in elementary or middle school, some courses take place online. During the school day, students participate independently in these online courses.
- SSA may result in a different class schedule. To accommodate your child's academic needs, the school may assign your child a nontraditional schedule. The final decision about scheduling will be made by the principal at each school.
Single Subject Acceleration (Spring 2022):Single subject acceleration (SSA) is the practice of skipping a grade level of content in ONE subject area or assigning a student to a higher-grade level than is typical given the student's age, for the purpose of providing access to appropriately challenging learning opportunities. SSA is an accelerative practice that allows students to show mastery of the content of a course without having taken the course. A formal Test Request and testing for eligibility is required during the WCPSS mandated windows. A student must be enrolled AND attending a WCPSS public school to participate in SSA testing.Students are only able to TEST and QUALIFY for ONE SUBJECT AREA - English/Language Arts OR Math.
- An informational SSA Parent Presentation will be held virtually on Tuesday, March 8th at 6:30pm. This session will be optional for parents who would like to learn more about SSA and its' effect on future academic planning. The link for this meeting will be posted on Mrs. Walters's website the afternoon of March 8th.
- The WCPSS Test Request window is from March 21 - 25. Parents must submit a Test Request form between these dates for their child to be included in this Spring's testing session. A link to the SSA Test Request form will be sent/published via the Paw Print on Wednesday, March 16th and on Mrs. Walters's website: https://mrswaltersaig.weebly.com/.
- SSA Testing for the 2022-23 school year will take place between April 18 and May 3. The exact testing schedule will be sent to parents via email the week of April 4th.
Mrs. Walters is the SSA contact for Highcroft Drive Elementary. Please direct any questions about SSA to firstname.lastname@example.org.