International Families   Spanish Language Resources   |   Chinese Language Resources   |   French Language Resources   |   Vietnamese Language Resources   |   Korean Language Resources   |   Arabic Language Resources   |   Hindi Language Resources


Special Education Services

The Wake County Public School System provides special education and related services according to the federal mandates of the Individual with Disabilities Act and the regulations of the North Carolina Public School Law, Article 9.

If you have questions regarding your child’s IEP and services please contact the Office of Family and Community Connections in Special Education Services:

Dani White/Secretary (919) 431-7334 office, (919) 431-7143 Spanish line, (919) 858-3205 fax,

We can answer your questions even before you enroll. You can find additional information about moving to the Wake County Public School System on our Parent Information Center Blackboard site.

The school system provides a continuum of service to meet the individual needs of learners. Whenever possible students are served in schools in their base attendance area or in schools of choice with support from special education and related services and/or building modifications.

For those students who must have a separate setting or more intensive services in order to benefit from their special education, programs are clustered geographically but continue to be based on school campuses that house age appropriate peers.

Eligibility for special services

The Public Schools of North Carolina, Exceptional Children Division provides local units with detailed procedures for the delivery of special education services. These rules and regulations are detailed in Policies Governing Services For Children With Disabilities.

Services are provided under the following areas of identification:

  • Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Deaf/Blindness
  • Developmental Delay
  • Serious Emotional Disability
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Intellectual Disability
  • Multiple Disabilities
  • Other Health Impairment
  • Orthopedic Impairment
  • Preschool Special Education
  • Specific Learning Disability
  • Speech/Language Impairment
  • Transition Services
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Visual Impairment

Notes to newcomers

If you are new to Wake County and have a child who has been receiving special education services, you will need to register your child at the Office of Student Assignment, 2725 Dillard Drive, Cary, NC 27518. where you will receive a NC-Wise student ID number and a school assignment.

To enroll, you will need:

  • Your child’s birth certificate
  • Proof of your address (like a current electric bill)
  • A photo ID of the parent or guardian

You will be asked to complete a registration packet. Please check the on the data sheet that indicates your child has an IEP. If you have a copy of the IEP please take it with you to the Office of Student Assignment when you register.

Special Education Services personnel

Special Education Services staff is responsible for providing information and assistance to school personnel who are responsible for assuring that all procedures that apply to students with disabilities are implemented according to the intent and letter of the law. Special Education Services personnel monitor specific school practices to include maintenance of student records, special education teacher/pupil ratio, and disciplinary policies. In addition, the staff provides training to school personnel on laws and regulations and effective classroom practice. Special Education Services personnel consult with parents who need information about specific disabilities, community resources or have concerns about their child’s education.

Guidelines for Student Assignment Equal Access and Opportunity for Students with Disabilities.