Welcome to The Ranch to all our new Mustangs!
We look forward to meeting you soon! There will be orientation sessions for students based on the grade they are entering.
Did You Miss New Student Orientation?
The registration sheets and our elective catalog mentioned in the presentation are available here
Core Course Placement
All students are placed in grade level Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies. There are not "advanced" or "honors" levels of core courses at Martin.
- Current WCPSS Students--placement for math and language arts will be completed by your student's 5th grade teacher at the elementary school.
- Non-WCPSS Students--in order to assist with placement please collect the following:
- Report cards with or without narratives
- Any testing results (e.g. Iowa Test, Stanford, EOGs, etc.)
- Documentation of what skills, topics, and concepts were taught in language arts and mathematics this year.
- Counselors and SPED teachers will not be meeting with individual families at this time to discuss course placement. Please speak with your current school counselor and/or SPED case manager for advice until July 1, 2017.
The elective selection process will be completed online this year in PowerSchool.
- Students currently enrolled in WCPSS will complete the registration process at their current school from March 27th-April 7th
- Students coming to MMS from outside WCPSS will receive registration information at orientation in March.
- "But what if my student gets into MMS from the Applicant Pool in April or May?" We don't create elective schedules until early summer to ensure that all students have an equal chance at being enrolled in their primary elective choices.
In the meantime, we recommend you spend some time looking through our Elective Catalog
to choose your primary and alternate elective choices.
Electives with Recommendations/Auditions
An elective with an "A" beside the course name indicates it requires teacher approval, a recommendation, or an audition to register for. Please contact the teacher for the course you wish to audition for to schedule an appointment.
- Band: TBA (Mr. Riggs, email@example.com)
- Dance: TBA (Ms. Lowder, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Chorus: TBA (Mr. Yancey, email@example.com)
- Strings Orchestra: TBA (Ms. Hynus, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Theater: TBA (Mr. Velarde, email@example.com)
World Language Placement Tests:
- Spanish: May 4th, 7:30 a.m. OR 3:30 p.m. (Sra. Troxell, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- French: May 4th, 7:30 a.m. OR 3:30 p.m. (Mme. Durocher, email@example.com)
Are you a rising 7th or 8th grader interested in a different upper level course? Consider the following:
- Yearbook (Ms. Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Martin Ambassadors (Ms. Aqqad, email@example.com)
- Odyssey of the Mind 2 (Ms. Bivins, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Media Assistant (Ms. Carr, email@example.com)
Contact these teachers if you are interested in applying for their course!
AIG at Martin
Students previously identified as AIG, or Academically and Intellectually Gifted, retain that identification through 12th grade. You do not need to renominate those students.
If your student is not identified as AIG, please know that AIG identification does not determine course placement. We do not offer "honors," "AIG," or "advanced" core courses at Martin. Some elective titles contain "honors" or "advanced," but these are open to all students.
If you would like more information about how Martin "does" AIG, please go here
for a video of teachers and students describing how AIG works at Martin and a slideshow with examples of AIG differentiation in Language Arts.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions!