WCPSS: Board Policy - 5611 Middle School Math Placement
5611 Middle School Math Placement
Middle school math placement criteria shall be established to ensure equitable access to middle school math courses.
- Established Placement Criteria
- The district's placement criteria must be used when establishing course options for all students.
- District-level staff will establish placement criteria based on research and obtainable student data.
- A parent or teacher request to place a student in a class higher than the student data suggests, shall be reviewed by the school based review team that includes the principal, parent or legal guardian, mathematics teacher, AIG teacher (when dealing with an AIG student), and special programs teacher (when dealing with a special programs child). The school based team will make a decision regarding math placement.
- A parent or teacher request to place his/her child in a class lower than the student data suggest shall be reviewed by the principal. The principal will make the final decision.
- Implemented Placement Criteria
- The Deputy Superintendent for School Performance shall:
- Ensure implementation of the middle school math placement criteria; and
- Assist area superintendents in monitoring implementation of the middle school math placement criteria.
- The Assistant Superintendent for Academics shall:
- Ensure the dissemination of the criteria in February of each year prior to the Spring recommendation period;
Create a pre-populated data collection tool for teachers to record course recommendations in conjunction with Data and Accountability;
- Communicate math placement criteria to all stakeholders through multiple media; and
- Work with the area superintendents to ensure equitable resources are allocated to effectively implement this policy.
- The Area Superintendents shall:
- Ensure that middle schools implement the middle school math placement criteria;
- Ensure that middle schools complete the district provided data collection tool with all appropriate documentation; and
- Work with the Assistant Superintendent for Academics to ensure equitable resources are allocated to effectively implement this policy.
- The Principal shall:
- Communicate to stakeholders the importance of the middle school math placement criteria prior to Spring course registration;
- Monitor the implementation of the middle school math placement criteria;
- Ensure that school personnel complete the data collection tool recording names of students placed in courses other than the data suggest as well as rationale;
- Ensure the data collection tool is sent to the Area Superintendent; and
- Use resources provided by the district to deliver additional instructional support ensure all students are successful. Additional instructional support is defined to be concentrated tutorials in-school and/or after school. Documentation of additional support should be recorded and made available upon the request of the area superintendent.
- Evaluated Placement Criteria
- District-level staff will conduct annual reviews of the middle school math placement criteria. The review will commence at the conclusion of each school year when EOG data is available. Staff from Data and Accountability and Academics will review the data to determine any revisions that need to be made to the criteria.
- District-level staff will monitor for patterns of failure and offer recommendations for strengthening the criteria, as appropriate.
Legal Reference: None
Adopted: March 27, 2012