WCPSS: Board Policy - 2571 Naming of Individual School Buildings, Rooms, Structures, Furnishings, Books, and Scholarships
2571 Naming of Individual School Buildings, Rooms, Structures, Furnishings, Books, and Scholarships
Individual buildings, rooms or areas within buildings, or other structures on school campuses may be named in memory or honor of persons who have rendered extraordinary service to the school system, community, or nation.
- These guidelines are intended to include, but are not necessarily limited to, persons who served in the former Raleigh Public School System or the former Wake County Schools, now known as the Wake County Public School System.
- Persons so honored should have rendered exemplary service in a particular school or facility for a period of not less than eight (8) years.
- In lieu of #2 above, persons so honored should have rendered exemplary service to several schools in the Wake County Public School System over a period of not less than fifteen (15) years.
- Persons so honored should have either culminated their careers in the Wake County Public School System (i.e., retired from the Wake County Public School System), or died while still actively employed. Nominations are appropriate no less than one year following the date of culmination of service.
- Persons so honored must be recommended and sponsored through group nomination (e.g., faculty, students, PTA, advisory council, etc.) as opposed to individual nomination.
- The nomination of any persons must be reviewed by the Superintendent, resulting in a recommendation to the Board of Education.
Flower gardens or other natural areas, flagpoles, library books, bookshelves in media centers, furniture in media centers, books, or scholarships, may be named in memory of deceased persons or students if all of the following conditions are met.
- No financial expense shall be incurred by the school system.
- Scholarships shall be administered through the school or the institution managing the funds.
- The memorial must be reviewed and approved by the building principal.
Notwithstanding the above provisions, individual buildings, rooms, structures, furnishings, books, or scholarships named between the date of first adoption of this policy and its first revision may continue to bear names which do not conform to the adopted standard.
Adopted: May 15, 1989
Revised: December 15, 1997
Revised: May 21, 2002
Revised: August 9, 2005
Revised: November 3, 2009