1510 Policy Development 1510
An important function of the Board is to adopt written policies or general principles to govern the discretionary action of those to whom it delegates authority. The formal adoption of policies shall be reported in the minutes of the Board. Only those written statements so adopted and recorded shall be regarded as official Board policy.
A. Adoption of Policies
1. New policies and revisions to policies shall be aligned with valid pedagogical research, sound business and financial practices, law, and the Board' philosophy beliefs and mission.
policies or revisions to existing policies shall be voted on by the Board at
two separate public meetings prior to adoption. First
3. The Superintendent shall submit to the Board written recommendations for adoption of new policies or revisions to existing policies in a timely manner.
4. The Superintendent shall seek the counsel of the Board' attorney to ensure proposed policies are consistent with laws, regulations and policies.
5. The Superintendent shall hold all employees responsible for the implementation and adherence to all Board policies and regulations and procedures (R&P) through performance evaluations.
B. Dissemination and Preservation of Policies
1. The Superintendent shall designate staff to maintain the Board policy manual.
2. The Superintendent shall designate staff to maintain archives of past policy and R&P revisions.
3. The Superintendent shall designate staff to provide regular and systematic policy and R&P updates to the Board and appropriate staff.
4. The Superintendent shall designate staff to provide public access to current WCPSS Board policy and R&P via the WCPSS internet.
5. The Superintendent shall implement a systematic process of informing and training staff of existing, new or revised policies and R&P in a timely manner.
C. Policy Review and Evaluation
1. The Board shall review proposals for new policies or revisions to existing policies.
2. The Board shall review its policy system on a regular, periodic cycle.
3. The Superintendent shall designate staff responsible for revising existing policy, developing new policy and writing regulations and procedures (R&P).
4. The Superintendent shall make recommendations to the Board for adoption of new policies or revisions to existing policies that reflect changes in the law or state and federal regulations.
5. The Superintendent shall designate staff to establish a policy-review system that will ensure that all WCPSS Board policies and corresponding R&P are reviewed on a regular, periodic cycle to ensure alignment with valid pedagogical research, sound business and financial practices, law, and the Board' philosophy, beliefs and mission.
6. Recommendations for revisions to policies will be submitted to the Board for their review on a regular, periodic cycle.
7. When a policy is reviewed by the appropriate Board Committee, and it is decided that no changes are necessary, that policy will be placed on the Consent Agenda with a waiver of Second Reading. Any Board member may move the policy to the Action Agenda for discussion.
D. Regulations and Procedures
1. Regulations and Procedures (R&P) are developed by and approved by the Superintendent to provide staff with guidelines to assist in the implementation of Board policies.
2. The Superintendent shall assign staff to develop, as needed, corresponding R&P for new or existing policies.
Legal Reference: G.S. 115C-36, G.S 115C-40, and G.S. 115C-47
Adopted: May 24, 1976
Revised: March 15, 1993
Revised: June 24, 2004
Revised: December 2, 2008
Revised: March 3, 2009
Revised: April 21, 2009