International Families   Spanish Language Resources   |   Chinese Language Resources   |   French Language Resources   |   Vietnamese Language Resources   |   Korean Language Resources   |   Arabic Language Resources   |   Hindi Language Resources


Student Assignment

Note: New student and kindergarten enrollment for the 2014-15 school year begins Jan. 13, 2014. To be eligible for kindergarten, students must be five years old on or before Aug. 31, 2014.


Student enrollment

Base schools
In Wake County, students are assigned to a base school based on their "domicile" within the county. For more information about the definition of a domicile, please see Board Policy 6201. To determine the base school for any particular address, use the address lookup tool.

Calendar option schools
For each Wake County residential address, families have an opportunity to request assignment to a school of the opposite calendar from their base school. If a family's base school is on the traditional calendar there is a designated calendar option school that is on the year-round calendar. Parents may apply to the calendar option school for their address during the designated spring application period. Families new to Wake County may apply for their calendar option school by submitting a transfer request at the time of their initial enrollment. Calendar option schools are offered to families as seats are available at the requested school. Students assigned to their base school or their calendar option school for their address will receive school district transportation to and from school.

Capped schools
In some cases, a school may be capped, meaning the school has reached the maximum number of students. The following schools are capped for 2014-15:

  • Capped Elementary Schools: Alston Ridge, Brooks, Cedar Forks, Combs, Green, Hodge Road, Holly Grove, Holly Ridge, Holly Springs, Hunter, Jones Dairy, Lacy, Leesville Road, Forest Pines, Mills Park, North Ridge, Walnut Creek
  • Capped Middle Schools: Mills Park Middle
  • Capped High Schools: Apex High, Holly Springs High

If a student's assigned school is capped, he or she will be offered a choice of overflow schools. Contact Student Assignment or your base school with questions.

Where to enroll your student

What you need to enroll

  • Completed enrollment forms. Download the registration packet for incoming Kindergartners, incoming 1st-5th grade or incoming 6th-12th grade. Or, view all enrollment forms.
  • A certified copy of your child's birth certificate
  • Proof of your Wake County address (current water, gas, or electric bill in parent's name, new signed lease, or offer to purchase agreement)
  • A photo ID of the parent or guardian
  • Your child's immunization record
  • Any custody documents

Change of address and re-enrollment

Families with a change of address can remain at their current school if they provide their own transportation or can enroll in the base school for the family’s new address. If you are re-enrolling or have moved within Wake County, you will need: