You'll need to provide a note within two days of your child's return to school or the absences will be recorded as unexcused. Your principal or teachers will notify you if there are three or more unexcused absences, and will work with you and your child if there is a concern that absences are becoming excessive.
Your child will need to make up all work he or she missed, as scheduled by the teacher.
An absence is excused if the following conditions exist:
1. A student is unable to attend school when the student or his/her child is ill, injured, has a medical appointment, or is isolated by order of the State Board of Health or the Wake County Health Department. The principal shall require written documentation from the parent, guardian, emancipated student, or doctor, of the reason the student was absent. At the principal's discretion, other family illness may be accepted as an excused absence. Emancipated students are those that are eighteen (18), married, or emancipated by court order. A principal may allow students under eighteen (18) who do not live at home, to write their own absence notes if the parent gives written consent.
2. Death in the family.
3. A student who is called to court under subpoena or court order is to receive an excused absence. If the student is called to court because they are being charged with an offense, they should receive an excused absence for the time in court.
4. Religious observance, as suggested by the religion of the student or the student' parents.
5. An absence may be excused in advance for educational reasons. The parent must complete the form #1710 "Request for Excused Absence for Educational Reasons." By signing the document, the parent assures the school that the absence meets the requirements of the law for excused absences. The law provides principals with the latitude to determine when the cumulative effects of such absences are of such duration as to interfere with the education of the student.
6. A student is unable to attend school due to a catastrophic event or natural disaster.
Absences not classified as excused in section C. are unexcused. Parents shall be notified when their child has accumulated three unexcused absences. Parents shall be notified in writing when their child has accumulated six unexcused absences.