MEET THE COACH AND Q&A:
Tuesday, Nov. 1st @ Centennial - 7:30 - 8:00 am
BOYS BASKEETBALL INTEREST MEETINGS:
7th Grade Boys - Wednesday, Nov. 9th - Dillard Gym - 3:00 - 5:00 pm*
8th Grade Boys - Thursday, Nov. 10th - Dillard Gym - 3:00 - 5:00 pm*
* Centennial students must provide their own transportationMIDDLE SCHOOL ATHLETIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
All Centennial students have the opportunity to play sports at Dillard Drive Middle School. Seventh and eighth grade students interested in participating in athletics should familiarize themselves with the following eligibility requirements and athletic policies. Listed below are the sports seasons and the athletic programs during that season.
Fall – Cheerleading, Football, Girl’s Soccer, Girl’s Volleyball
Winter – Basketball, Cheerleading
Spring – Boy’s Soccer, Girl’s Softball, Track
2015-2016 Sport Season Dates
All students must fill out this Examination, Participation, and Concussion Form.
- Fall Sports Season – TBD
- Winter Sports Season – TBD
- Spring Sports Season – TBD
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for any athletic activity, the athlete:
- Must meet all eligibility requirements prior to the first tryout/practice date.
- Must have a completed and signed Middle School Athletic Participation Form (see form link above) prior to the first tryout/practice date.
- Must not participate if he/she becomes 15 years of age on or before August 31, 2015.
- Must receive a medical examination once every 365 days (see form link above) by a licensed medical physician, physician’s assistant or family practitioner in the United States.
- Must read the Concussion Information Sheet (see form link above), initial and sign the Student-Athlete & Parent/Legal Custodian Concussion Statement once every 365 days.
- Parent or legal custodian must read the Concussion Information Sheet (see form link above), initial and sign the Student-Athlete & Parent/Legal Custodian Concussion Statement once every 365 days.
- Must meet promotion requirements to be eligible for fall semester. The State Board of Education defines promotion as “progressing to the next grade.” Students retained either by the school or the parents will be ineligible for the fall semester.
- 4 Semester Rule – No student may be eligible to participate at the Middle School level for a period lasting longer than 4 consecutive semesters beginning with the students’ first entry into 7th grade. The principal shall have evidence of the date of each player’s entry into the 7th grade.
- Must earn passing grades (D or better) in one less course than the required core courses each semester to be eligible for participating during the succeeding semester. Passing grades must be attained in language arts and mathematics. In addition to the core course requirements, at least fifty percent of all remaining courses must be passed.
- Must not have more than 14 total absences (85% attendance requirement) in the semester prior to athletic participation. This is a State Board of Education requirement. According to Board Policy 6860, students who participate in interscholastic athletics must meet all requirements of the State Board of Education.
- Must purchase regular school accident insurance or provide proof of insurance coverage by filling out the insurance information waiver on the Middle School Athletic Participation Form.
- Must not participate (practice or play) if ineligible.
- Must not participate (practice or play) in any athletic event if suspended or is actively serving in the in-school suspension program for that day or days.
- Must be present in school the entire day in order to participate in practices or games.
- Must live with a parent or legal custodian within the Wake County Public School System administrative unit. (Must notify the athletic director if not living with a parent or legal custodian.)
- A student upon first entering grade seven (7) is academically eligible for competition on middle school teams. All requirements must be met the first semester (fall) in order for this student to be eligible for athletic participation the second semester (spring).
- A player must practice a total of six (6) days before playing in a game in all sports except football, where a player must practice nine (9) days.
- A player injured requiring medical attention and/or absent due to illness must meet eligibility requirements and must have practiced the required number of days above (# 15). This player may not participate in practice or a contest without a doctor’s note. Students absent from athletic practice 5 or more days due to illness or injury shall receive a medical release by a licensed physician before readmittance to practice or play.
- If school is not in session or school closes early, no practice or game will take place. There will be no practice on Saturdays (this includes year round schools), holidays, or vacation days.
If you have any questions, please contact the Dillard Drive MS Athletic Director, Mark Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org