WCPSS high school teams won four state championships and five WCPSS students earned individual state championships in fall sports.
Bold print denotes State Championships
- Broughton won the state championship. Laura Davidson is the coach.
- Green Hope finished in the top 4 in the state losing to Broughton in the semi-finals.
- Sanderson and Panther Creek finished in the top 8 in the state championships.
- Maggie Kane (Broughton) was the women’s 4A individual champion.
- Sammi Smith and Jordan Strickland (Panther Creek) were the women’s 4A doubles champions.
Girls’ Cross Country
- Green Hope won the state championship for the 4th year in a row. Mike Miragliuolo is the coach.
- Broughton finished 3rd and Millbrook 9th in the state championships.
- Megan Sullivan (Broughton HS) was the women’s 4A individual champion.
- Green Hope (3rd), Middle Creek (8th), Wake Forest-Rolesville (9th), and Fuquay-Varina (11th) finished in the top 12 in the 4A state championships.
- Sarah Bae (Athens Drive) was the women’s 4A individual champion.
Boys’ Cross Country
- Broughton won the state 4A championship for the 4th time in the last 5 years. David Christian is the coach.
- Cary finished 2nd and Millbrook 4th in the state championships.
- Bakri Abushouk (Cary) was the men’s 4A individual champion.
- Leesville finished 2nd in the 4A state championships.
- Wakefield finished in the top 8 in the state championships losing to Leesville.
- Green Hope won the 4A state championship for the 2nd year in a row. Richard Huxford is the coach.
- Garner finished in the top 4 in the 4AA state championship.
- Leesville finished in the top 8 in the state 4AA losing to Garner in the quarter-finals.
- State championships will be held December 8th, and will be recognized in the winter sports season accomplishments.
NCHSAA High School Sportsmanship Awards
- Leesville was presented a plaque honoring an Ejection Free year by the NCHSAA at their Region 3 meeting September 27th.
Middle School Fall Sportsmanship Awards
- Fuquay-Varina, Apex, Salem, West Cary, Carroll, Ligon, Martin, Wake Forest-Rolesville, Wendell, Zebulon, West Millbrook and Durant were fall sports season sportsmanship award winners as voted on by the coaches and athletic directors. These schools will display Sportsmanship Banners during the winter sports season.
- Football Shrine Bowl Athletic Trainers: Miles Kliewer (Athletic Trainer at Apex) will serve as the North Carolina athletic trainer co-chair on the Shrine Bowl sports medicine staff. Eric Hall (Athletic Trainer at Cary) will be serving as the North Carolina invited athletic trainer at the Shrine Bowl. Mike Guerrero (Athletic Trainer at Garner) is the Shrine Bowl athletic trainer chairperson. Cassidy Holland (Cary) has been picked as a Shrine Bowl Sports Medicine Student Assistant.
- Nelson Smith (football coach at Garner HS) will be the head football coach for North Carolina in the Shrine Bowl.
Thanks to WCPSS athletics director Bobby Guthrie for sharing these accomplishments.